We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best dinner for one night in Rockland

WA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best dinner for one night in Rockland

Hi All.

I'll be in Rockland for 24 hours in mid-July before cruising on the Schooner Ladona. I want to make the right choice for my only dinner in town. I'm pesco-vegetarian (seafood only). And I love fresh seafood of any kind.

I also love sampling local fare and can be very adventurous with food as long as no meat. Don't think that will be a problem on the Maine coast. :):):)

Furthermore, I like the freshest possible ingredients, such as seasonal menus and LOCAL farm-to-table. I do not mind paying a premium for quality, but will be dinning solo, so candlelit ambience is not a priority. I do like places with a local, homey feel. But upscale dining is ok too.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for my perfect restaurant? It would also be cool to get suggestions for interesting local specialties or specific restaurant specialties to try out.

I'm staying At The Lindsey, downtown.

This is a special trip for me. Maybe you've got just the right tip to make it even more special. Thank you all very much.

Looking forward to your responses.

-scarltz

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Lindsey Hotel
Lindsey Hotel
51 Reviews
Rockland, ME
13 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

Primo is the famous one. Should have plenty of seafood choices for you

http://www.primorestaurant.com/

Mentioned in this post
Primo
Primo
961 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

But Primo isn't right in town. It would be a drive. Sounds like you might not have a car.

Mentioned in this post
Primo
Primo
961 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

"In Good Company" a short walk from your hotel is just what you're looking for. I haven't been there for 2 years and the menu changes all the time so I can't recommend a particular dish, but you can be adventurous with a few small plates and a salad or soup, or they will adjust most seafood items to your liking so if a shrimp & bacon dish sounds good except for the bacon, ask them to substitute with fresh mushrooms or beets or whatever you enjoy.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 01:49
WA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

WoW. I just checked in to see if I had any replies. Thank you both for your excellent suggestions

Primo looks fabulous. But it is a 28 min walk or 6 min drive from the Lindsey. And I will not have private transportation, so I'd have to get a taxi or walk. After traveling all day I think either one of those might be too much. But I will definitely put this on my possible list.

In Good Company, on the other hand, is only a 2-minute walk from the Lindsey. Perfect. And they have a seasonal menu which is exactly what I'm looking for. The sample online menu is making my mouth water.

So In Good Company is option #1 right now, with Primo being a close 2nd depending on whether I feel like walking that far or getting a taxi.

In addition, I've been doing some foodie research, and Cafe Miranda keeps coming up with mostly very good reviews. My biggest concern is, large menu, which can be problematic when it comes to getting good food. But I am currently considering it for lunch the next day--the day we set sail. I don't have to be the wharf until 4:00. And dinner is not until 5:00.

Any thoughts on whether or not the Cafe Miranda would be a good choice for lunch?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your personal recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Primo
Primo
961 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Lindsey Hotel
Lindsey Hotel
51 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Cafe Miranda
Cafe Miranda
852 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

Don't keep Primo as a back up plan. You need reservations way in advance. And much of the 28 minute walk is along a very busy highway.

Mentioned in this post
Primo
Primo
961 Reviews
Rockland, ME
WA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

Primo is off my list. Sounds terrible for walking, I don't want to get a reservation, and I seriously doubt I'll want to get in a car after traveling all day.

Thanks for your helpful information.

Mentioned in this post
Primo
Primo
961 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

Café Miranda would be a great spot for lunch, also consider Brass Compass Café, Home Kitchen Café and maybe Park Street Grille. Menus at most of them change quite a bit and they have daily specials, so I'd take a stroll and check out the daily menu which might be posted outside, or they'll be glad to show you if you walk inside.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Miranda
Cafe Miranda
852 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Park Street Grille
Park Street Grille
209 Reviews
Rockland, ME
WA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

Hey Tom,

That sounds like a great plan...menu shopping for a good lunch place. I want to walk around town anyway. And I don't much like regular shopping. So I'll food shop. And I'll be sure to check out the places you've mentioned. Sounds like we have similar tastes.

I appreciate your tips.

connecticut
Level Contributor
453 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

recommend you dine here at Rustica

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

this is Italian, their eggplant parm is a vegetarian delight, not like a regular eggplant parm.

check the pictures - this is one of the best in Rockland and quaint too.

Edited: 15 June 2018, 19:29
Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
839 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best dinner for one night in Rockland

North Beacon is a new seafood place in Rockland. FABULOUS! penbaypilot.com/article/…

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Reply to: Best dinner for one night in Rockland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockland