We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Day Trip

Providence RI
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Island Day Trip

We've been to the Rockland area many times, rented a house for a week or two, but never visited one of the local islands. For a day trip, do you recommend Vinylhaven, North Haven or Monhegan? I've seen comments NH is really only needs a half day and I think we'd prefer more to see and do. Low expectations, walking around, window shopping, maybe renting bikes, having a fun lunch. Which do you think we should choose? And where for lunch? Thx.

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Day Trip

I recommend Monhegan. Except no window shopping there. There are very, very few shops. There is one nice art gallery and some artist studios. You can walk the road up the hill and then to your right out to Lobster Cove. There are dramatic cliffs and hiking trails. If you are there in the summer, lunch can be had at the Island Inn. Very good. If you are there when lunch is no longer served, then you can have coffee and a pastry at the little shop near the dock. Be aware, though, the ten mile trip out there can be a bit rough, unless it's a calm, summer day on the ocean.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Day Trip

This island listing from Penobscot Island Air's site sums up the islands nearby pretty well. (We use them to travel to Matinicus to visit relatives. If you want an alternative to a ferry, either time-wise or view-wise, they are a great choice!)

www.penobscotislandair.net/destinations.php

Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
329 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Day Trip

I agree with Monhegan, primarily for the hiking. There is a new highly acclaimed brew pub there as well. Personally, I'd do an overnighter to get plenty of time to soak up the ambiance. The Island House is a good option for this.

Otherwise, a day trip to Carver's Harbor yields more shopping and restaurant options and the possibility of bike rentals if you're feeling energetic.

North Haven, while lovely, is mostly pastoral except for a small cluster of tourist businesses around the ferry landing. If you do choose North Haven, you can very easily see the whole island by just walking down the road. Friendly Islanders will nearly force you to ride with them to wherever you want to go, probably offering a guided tour as you go. ;-)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Day Trip

I agree with the overnight suggestion on Monhegan. Nothing like the feeling when the last ferry pulls away from the dock and peace and quiet settle on the island.

Have you been or do you know someone who has been at the brew pub? We were at the brewery a number of years ago. I'm wondering if there is really much of a pub there or if it is simply a tasting room deck as the web page says.

Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
329 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Day Trip

Actually, I haven't been to Monhegan in probably 5 or 6 years. My recco of the brew pub is based strictly on my beer snob buddy, whom has been harassing me to go out in my boat for a guys' sailing/ hiking and beer trip. He says the beer is very highly touted, I just assumed there was a pub. Sorry if I was inaccurate.

NORFOLK, ENGLAND
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Day Trip

My family and I have just enjoyed a wonderful 45 minute scenic flight with Penosbcot Island Air. It was worth every cent that we paid. Moreover, the outfit was so friendly, informal and helpful. from the first moment when we made contact from the UK.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
839 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Day Trip

Monhegan Brewing Company is still just a tasting room with a little outside seating. http://www.monheganbrewing.com/

8. Re: Island Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2018, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Rockland