We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maryland Renaissance Festival

Lake Park
Level Contributor
24 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic

Why does TripAdvisor refuse to list the Maryland Renaissance Festival in their list of activities in Crownsville??? It is the biggest thing that happens there. It starts in late Aug & ends in late Oct. It has been running for many many years. All they listed for activities there is a golf course. This attracts many times the people each weekend when it is open, than a golf course will in a year. This is a chance for people to step back in history, & learn what life was like in that era. Both employees & many guest dress in period clothing. The food is like it was then. The shops produce things that would be on sale in that era, & you can watch them do it using the tools available in that era. The entertainment is the type that they enjoyed at that time. Why are they avoiding this valuable fest???

Mentioned in this post
Maryland Renaissance...
176 Reviews
Crownsville, MD
16 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,318 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

How do you know TA refuses? Just for kicks looked to see if Fryeburg, ME fall festival is listed and don't see it either. Nor is the NH Arts festival listed in Sunapee, NH. I don't see that the Maryland State Fair is listed under things to do either in Cockeysville. It could be that only ongoing items get listed. However, I do see traveler articles about various fairs which is not the same as being on a things to do page.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Lake Park
Level Contributor
24 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

I have tried to get it listed on 2 occasions & they told me that it does not meet with their criteria to be listed. It is currently on going. It runs every weekend from Aug to Oct. Sept is in the middle of that time. They also left out the fair in Timmonium, MD that we attended in late Aug. What is going on here??? I think they only list the things that they get paid to list, & real events get left out. Maryland Renaissance Festival does pay for ads, so they just were not there quick enough.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland Renaissance...
176 Reviews
Crownsville, MD
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,318 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

I have no inside information but if it is not a brick and mortar permanent thing to do like the Inner Harbor, then it seems not to get listed. It is their game so they can play it anyway they want.

Mentioned in this post
Inner Harbor
Inner Harbor
3,072 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Lake Park
Level Contributor
24 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

It is not brick & mortar because most of the buildings are wood, in keeping with the traditions of the times, but it is a permanent structure because the same buildings are there year to year. They don't tear them down & then rebuild them. They are permanent. People need to know what there is to do in the local area when they are visiting or if they live there year round. It would make a visit more interesting, & something like that could bring more tourism to the area.

Havre de Grace...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

I wanted to know if anyone else ever has an issue with trying to get a taxi from the fair? I go once a year because I do not live close enough to go more often so I usually come to Parole, Md and get a hotel and get a taxi. Getting to fair is fine but getting taxi to come to pick up is a nightmare and even more difficult to do with slurred speech! I don't want to drink and drive but it feels like I can't be the only one with a group without a designated driver. I want to be realistic and safe and know I will need a ride back to hotel but the taxi drivers must think it is too far to go for a few people. Is there any transportation that i am not aware of to/from fair? There is probably a lot of drunk drivers leaving.....

Lake Park
Level Contributor
24 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

I have never had anything stronger than a Diet Pepsi there, so I really don't think drinking is a big issue there. Have you asked any of the people leaving at the same time as you for a ride??? I think the taxi driver's aversion to coming out there is the traffic jam when everyone tries to leave at the same time. You could sit in that parking lot, inching up for 30 - 60 minutes before you get to the road, If you could get a ride from some good sumaritan away from the traffic jam, you would have a better chance of getting a cab.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

Ask whatever cab company that drives you if they would be willing to pick you up. Choose a place for pick-up (preferably not totally inside the fair). They should give you a business card and you should be able to call the company when you are close to leaving. Annapolis cabs are small operations, and a drive to Crownsville is nothing mileage wise. But already having an initial relationship with the driver can certainly up your chances for a ride rather than cold calling. Traffic around there can be a nightmare, and that is why some cabbies may not want to waste their time idling for so long.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

I was wondering if this would be a fun thing for a 8 year old boy to do? I thought we wuld bring our grandson get dressed in costume and leave early before heavy drinking??? I have always wanted to go and just never have so I hope to bring my grandson but want to make sure there will be things for him t enjoy.

Lake Park
Level Contributor
24 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

This is a great place to take kids. They have lots of activities especially for kids, like a knighting ceremony for kids only. As for heavy drinking, I have never seen it to be a problem. I drink diet soda. My knight in shining armor drinks water. The strongest thing I have seen there is beer or mead wine. Not many can get drunk on that. I think some pretend to be drunk in the spirit of their character. It is a great way to introduce a child to Shakespeare, but you better hurry. I think there is only 1 more weekend this year, or you will have to wait until next year. Don't miss A Fool Named O. He is a mime & their show is always funny. Mark & Sabrina are good friends of ours. The high wire act is also great & very funny, & Michael also runs a camp, in MD during the summer that teaches high wire to young kids. I don't want to give the impression that I go a lot even though I live in FL.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 13:07
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,197 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maryland Renaissance Festival

"The strongest thing I have seen there is beer or mead wine. Not many can get drunk on that."

lol.

Reply to: Maryland Renaissance Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crownsville