We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)

Alexandria, Virginia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)

it's my first trip to Deep Creek Lake at the end of June, and since I booked a house for 20 of my friends to stay at, there's a lot of pressure on me to have a good time. The guys are mostly going to want to hang around the house and drink beer, but on the occasions we want to get out on the town i'm concerned there's going to be no way to get there. I've read horrible things about the local taxi service; is there really just one, and is it really that bad? we'll only need to go about 5 miles at any given time, but I've heard you have to make rigid appointments and that the cabs will try to extort exorbitant fees.

I'd like to rent a boat for this purpose (it'd be easier to persuade a friend to stay sober to drive a boat than to drive a car) but they're all due back at 5 pm, making the cost prohibitive.

Also I've heard that the DNR is very strict...if we sit in the lake on innertubes in front of our rental house and drink beer and mind our own business, will we get harassed? We plan on being respectful of the neighbors and of other visitors to the lake so i'd like to not deal with Johnny Law coming up to me every day telling me I can't drink a beer in the sunshine. Any tips?

4 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)

In the summer months there are a couple of different transportation options at DCL. Call County Caravan 240-442-5374 for around town and if you want the old time limo call 301-501-5466. You will have long wait times to be picked up because of how big the lake is. Make sure you call the day you need way in advance to make good time. If you rent a boat for more than 1 day you could keep it overnight at your dock. As long as your group isn't being loud at your lakefront during the day/evening DNR shouldn't have any issues with it as long as you are not in danger of being near moving boats. If your house has a community of docks instead of it's own private dock, then I would suggest you consult the rental company for policies of space there so you don't have any issues.

Don't forget that they don't have Sunday alcohol sales in that county so plan ahead for that. You can drink at restaurants with the purchase of a meal, but not just the drink.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)

thanks for the tips, i will take keep those in mind. also maybe it sounds like i should move to deep creek and start a cab company

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)

Might be a good idea. I forgot to suggest the Crab Shack up there to you guys. Check it out if you get a chance.

Maryland, USA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)

And whatever you do, do NOT use Deep Creek Lake Taxi. They are horrible.

Reply to: First time to Deep Creek Lake (summer)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oakland