We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with Hammond Castle?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
554 posts
169 reviews
What's up with Hammond Castle?

I have just finished THE UNBOUND WIND, John Dandola's (author of Hammond's bio) latest mystery novel that was released this month. It is a great book, and uses Hammond Castle and Gloucester as well as Westford and its knight effigy for plot and setting. In the novel there are references to Hammond Castle selling off part of its property and moving Hammond's crypt. I visited the castle several years ago and wondered if anyone can tell me what is going on. Although the book is fiction, I worry that it is based on facts and that the castle will undergo major changes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

Have you checked their website? I never heard of anything of that nature going on, though I have to admit I never heard that Hammond's personal crypt was on-site, either.

Anyway, years ago, another grand property, belonging to the Archdiocese of Boston in the days of Richard Cardinal Cushing, was reportedly sold. There were rumors that the followers of Rev. Sun Yung Moon had purchased it (as well as the local frozen seafood company "Gorton's of Gloucester").

NOTE: I haven't done any research on this... it's just based on my personal recollections, having lived in the area since the mid 50s.

I very much doubt that the castle would undergo any major changes. It seems to me, that if it did, it would lose any "grandfathered" ability to be "non-accessible" and would have to build ramps, widen stairways, install lifts, etc.

Personally, I would like to see them revive the practice of showing the old B&W horror films in the grand hall for Halloween, and Kenneth Wilson's organ concerts.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
554 posts
169 reviews
2. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

I checked the Hammond Castle website like you suggested and not much there. I do know that Hammond Castle was owned by the archdiocese. I don't know for how long or when. I think the archdiocese sold it to a private group with a board of directors. From what I gather in the book, the castle itself won't change, but the property around it will. They want to sell some of it off to apparently raise needed funds, and to do that they have to move the crypt because it is located on one of the "lots." And yes, Hammond is buried there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
554 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

Judging by a story in the November 24 issue of The Gloucester Daily Times, Dandola's work of fiction, THE UNBOUND WIND, apparently has some truth to it.

According to the newspaper article, Hammond Castle directors got a court order to move John Hays Hammond Jr.'s body from its original crypt to a front garden. This was done to sell off some of the castle's property.

Jerez De La...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

where do I get this book? Borders doesnt have it

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
554 posts
169 reviews
5. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

www.biblio.com sells all of Dandola's works. It is an excellent website for all kinds of books that you can't find at Borders or Amazon.

The author also has a website www.johndandola.com where I think you can get autographed copies.

I believe Dandola also has a new book coming out soon, using the same characters but a setting in Florida.

Did you go to Hammond castle...or see the knight effigy? Pretty interesting stuff.

Jerez De La...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

Thanks for your response. I was hoping for a used copy but may purchase one from publisher.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
554 posts
169 reviews
7. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

Actually, biblio.com sells used books...don't know if they have a used copy of the one you are looking for.

8. Re: What's up with Hammond Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 14:23
Get answers to your questions about Gloucester