We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

Hi Anyone been whalew watching in October ? Is too uncomfortable or is it hjust down to the weather on the day? Keep thinking Perfect Storm Ha Ha , wouldna want to be out in rough weather.

Also about how long is your average whale watch form Gloucester?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,123 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

Anybody who could accurately predict the weather on a certain day nearly a month in advance would be a multi-millionaire!!!

It might be 40 degrees, it might be 85 degress, most likely something in between. It will be cool on the water. Bring jackets, maybe even a hat and gloves.

If it's raining heavily or very windy the seas WILL be rough. It can also be rough if a storm is passing off shore ...

As for length of trip, check the websites, usually they run 3-4 hours. The boats all have 'inside' areas where you can sit and stay warm on your way to/from the whale area.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

Thanks for that , I guess they woulndt go out if the weather was too bad on the day. Unfortunately we wouldnt be able to take a rain check as we are only in the area that day. I will take a look at the differnet tours , see who offer s the best deal on cancelled trips.

Sounds like New England Weather is a bit like our Olde England weather very unpredicatble!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,123 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

When it comes to whale watching, generally it's best not to book far in advance. See what the weather forecasters ase saying and if it looks good, book a day or 2 in avance.

I hope you get to go ... it is an interesting trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

Thanks very much for the asvice its very kind of you, and good to hear from someone who knows.

Some hotels in the Peabody /Danvers area are offering quite good deals on rooms that include a couple of tickets with Cape Ann Whale Watching. when you take the price of the tickets off it makes the room less than half the normal rate. So it was tempting to take this deal, it does say that if the tour dosent run they will refund the ticket price, but what I feel would happen is they may just invite you back for free on another occasion.

There are only a couple of places in the UK to see whales and then its pretty hit or miss I believe, definately no gaurantees, so this would be a real treat, but I cant help thinking that the summer is probaly the best time to do this trip. As someone who has been on three dolphin spotting trips in the past and not seen a single one, I am always a little sceptical. We have such a short time in the area and the thought of spending 4 plus hours of it feeling pretty sick and then not getting to see anything would be abit of a shame.

But I will look into it.

Thamks again

Mentioned in this post
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Danvers
Danvers
Massachusetts
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
230 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
5. Re: Too Cold for whale watching from Glosuceste 13th October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Gloucester