We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

We booked a room in Rockport for 2 nights and it sounds great but I'm wondering if it is too quiet in the evenings. We like to go out for a stroll and maybe go to a restaurant or pub and talk to the locals and just see the culture of the area . Just wondering if the town shuts down after 6 PM. We don't keep a late night but might want to stay out till 9 or 10. Would a cab or some other public transportation accommodate us between towns. 1st time to the area so really don't know what to expect . Thanks. Not too late to change our reservations. How far is Gloucester from Rockport?

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

My suggestion is to rent a car. You will go "stir crazy" just staying in Rockport for two days, so you'll want to see some of the surrounding towns like Gloucester and Salem and perhaps even just to explore for reswtaurants, etc. Public transportation is generally not much help except for getting back and forth to Boston.

Depending on where you are in Rockport and where you go in Gloucester, it's 10-20 minutes or so driving between them.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 05:26
Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Two quiet days in Rockport sounds wonderful! But, just in case you'd like to see more I recommend a rental car and perhaps a drive north through Ipswich to Newburyport. There's a great beach in Ipswich called Crane's Beach, and there are several nice little shops in Newburyport to look through (although the shops on Bearskin Neck in Rockport are just as cute). The other commenter is correct, the train is great but it only goes from Rockport back to Boston. You could ride it down to Gloucester or Salem (without the need of a car) for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Bearskin Neck
Bearskin Neck
614 Reviews
Rockport, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

We do have plans to ride the train down to Salem for the day, Is there anywhere to rent a car in Rockport?

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

We do have plans to ride the train down to Salem for the day, Is there anywhere to rent a car in Rockport?

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Just checking the MBTA schedule. Looks like a train leaves Gloucester @ 929P getting to Rockport@ 937P. Does that sound accurate? And one even later than that.. Is the train station in walking distance of things to do in Gloucester?

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

The times you quoted for the train sound about right to me. It's not far from Gloucester to Rockport. The real problem is that the trains run infrequently, especially in the evening. However, if you know the schedule and keep track of time, the train could work. The train station in Gloucester is about a half mile walk from the downtown area and waterfront where you'll find lots of restaurants. Another caveat: it's uphill back to the train station--a much longer half mile!--so you might want a taxi, and if you're taking a taxi, you might as well take it all the way back to Rockport!

There is also limited bus service that can get you around Cape Ann in the day time:

http://www.canntran.com/

I agree with the other posters that a car would give you more flexibility, but especially for just 2 days, you could manage with public transportation. Are you flying into Boston? How are you getting to Rockport?

Edited: 17 June 2010, 07:07
Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
230 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

If you're not aware, Rockport is not big on alcohol. In fact, unless it's changed recently, there are no pubs or bars in town, and restaurants can only serve you booze if you order food with your drinks. Just in case you weren't aware of that.

I still think you'll have a great time there unless you are the type that always wants to be on the go. It's such a picturque town and very relaxing. But, if quiet time drives you crazy then I highly suggest renting a car, for at least 1 day. There's so much to see throughout Cape Ann and a car is really the way to do it. You can always take the train down to Gloucester, or even Salem, to hit some watering holes without having to drive. There's an Enterprise in Gloucester that will bring you the car. You might want to book that in advance if you want a car.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
230 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Thanks so much for your advice! We are flying into Boston, spending 2 nights in the city. Planning to take the train to Rockport.,Then the next day , take the train back to Salem for the tourist experience... Taking a taxi back to town from Gloucester would suit us just fine as long as they are available. Just don't want to get stuck somewhere!!! We aren't huge nightowls , Just want to maybe sit outside on a deck and have a glass of wine and talk to others, So renting the car isn't really an option,

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Haha, you'll be fine. I really hope you come back here and Trip Report us! =)

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Thanks,Will. I feel better now and I definitely will do a trip report when we get home!

Get answers to your questions about Gloucester