We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

We booked a room in Rockport for 2 nights and it sounds great but I'm wondering if it is too quiet in the evenings. We like to go out for a stroll and maybe go to a restaurant or pub and talk to the locals and just see the culture of the area . Just wondering if the town shuts down after 6 PM. We don't keep a late night but might want to stay out till 9 or 10. Would a cab or some other public transportation accommodate us between towns. 1st time to the area so really don't know what to expect . Thanks. Not too late to change our reservations. How far is Gloucester from Rockport?

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

There are several taxi companies on Cape Ann. You might want to ask at your hotel for the names and numbers of a couple of them so you'll be prepared. Except at the train station (maybe), you probably won't see taxis on the street to flag down.

I was thinking more about your original question and realized that you're probably not going to find Rockport buttoned up tight in the evening. I've been to Bearskin Neck many a summer evening and recall open shops and lots of people out and about (I haven't been in a few years so this may have changed given the economy, but I doubt it). Rockport was a dry town for years and only recently changed its liquor laws. As you've already learned, liquor is still quite restricted, but even so, this will also keep more folks out in the evening. Gloucester will offer more options though. You might also enjoy visiting another town on the rail line, Manchester, perhaps on your way back from Salem. It's a pretty, little town and quaint in a different way than Rockport. While there, the Landing at Seven Central might be a good place to go for a drink.

Enjoy your visit!

Edited: 17 June 2010, 10:17
Mentioned in this post
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
230 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Bearskin Neck
Bearskin Neck
606 Reviews
Rockport, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

If some kind of night life is important to you than Newburyport is probably a better choice. Why go nuts trying to take taxis and trains just so you can sleep in Rockport? If visiting Rockport is so important you could instead go nuts trying to take taxis and trains to get there during the day from Newburyport, but what for?

The first time I went to Bearskin Neck, as a child (probably around 1962) it was in the evening. I loved it. I went there barefoot and tried to make that a personal tradition, so the next time we went I went barefoot too. I don't particularly recommend that you follow this tradition.

I really have no idea why you are going to Salem.

Mentioned in this post
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Bearskin Neck
Bearskin Neck
606 Reviews
Rockport, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
35 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

I don't know of a car rental office in Rockport. However, if you rode the train one stop to downtown Gloucester, there does appear to be an Enterprise Car Rental office maybe 5-10 minutes walking from the station. According to the TV advertisements, Enterprise Car Rental will also bring the car to you. I'm not sure how that works, and of course there may be an extra charge for that service.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

I am surprized that no one has mentioned this... why not stay in Gloucester where in the evening you could walk to nice restaurants on the water or a pub with music. Can also walk to the train that would take you one stop north to Rockport or a few stops south to Salem. Gloucester near town as your base would be my suggession.

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
15. Re: Booked a room in Rockport but now have questions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Gloucester