We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrain around Cape Ann?

Delaware
Level Contributor
25 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Terrain around Cape Ann?

DH and I will be staying in Rockport for 2-1/2 weeks at the end of August/ beginning of September. We have 1-speed "cruising" bikes which we take on trips, would these be adequate for biking between the towns on Cape Ann? Or should we take the 21-speed bikes? We have never been to this area before, and I am uncertain of what the terrain is like.

PS- We also plan on a couple of days in Boston, and trips to Newburyport and Portsmouth as well-- any suggestions on what to do or perhaps for other destinations?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
232 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrain around Cape Ann?

I really can't help you on the terrain aspect of Cape Ann since I never really paid much attention when driving around there. The coastline is rocky though, lol. From memory, it's mostly flat, but there are your usual small hills here and there to contend with. I'm sure like any other areas around here, there's some good areas to cruise and some not so good areas to cruise on the bikes. Unless someone with knowledge of biking around the area can advise you, then maybe a call to a local bike shop up there will provide your answer?

2 1/2 weeks in one location is a long time, but fortunately, Cape Ann is a great area with plenty to keep you busy for several days.

In addition to Boston, Newburyport and Portsmouth, you are within easy driving distance of the southern, Maine coastline, the White Mountains of New Hampshire can be visited, and longer daytrips are possible to such destinations as Cape Cod, Newport, Rhode Island and even the Berkshires of western, Mass.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
232 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Maine
Maine
United States
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Berkshires
Berkshires
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrain around Cape Ann?

Also, Lexington/Concord and Plymouth too.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrain around Cape Ann?

We just did the bike tour of Cape Ann and inland. The Bike forum web site has some great suggestions for the north shore area.

Cape Ann is not flat and 127 A was the route suggested. We did it and found shoulders very small /non existent but if you are carefull, you will enjoy the coast alot. West of Rockport was hilly, its hilly everywhere.

The best route we did was 133 from Gloucester to Essex, Ipswich and beverly. Again, not flat but super huge wide shoulder on most of the road which made it great to bike.if you have seen the Trans- Can from Calgary, its that wide. We took our own bikes but if you stay in Gloucester @ Bass Rocks, they have free cruisers for guests to use.

I downloaded the best route sheets from the Charles River Wheelman web site, the Boston cycling club.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 23:31
Mentioned in this post
Cape Ann Motor Inn
Cape Ann Motor Inn
232 Reviews
Gloucester, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Charles River
Charles River
707 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
4. Re: Terrain around Cape Ann?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Gloucester