We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching

stickney, il
6 posts
Save Topic
whale watching

will be in Gloucester in late july. Friends went watching in boat from Boston and got sick from 2 hr ride to sight. Does anyone know how much closer to the sight from Gloucester? And how is 7seas?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching

Being out on the water can make anyone seasick and ruin the trip. In reading about 7 Seas the only thing that might make the ride a bit rougher than most is that they talk about high travel speed. They might not have to use that speed though. So, book the trip but take precautions because they won't be turning back. Someone in my family who nearly gets seasick looking at a glass of water, riding in a car and on flights has found Marezine to do the trick. It is over the counter but we have to have the pharmacist order it in for us. We make sure to get a fresh supply each time we use it if it becomes old and take as directed. I recommend this as a miracle solution. We feel that Bonine is a second choice but the Marezine is non-drowsy. As you know different medications can react differently on each person. Just take the meds and enjoy the trip may I suggest?

Salvador
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching

Here is a map of Stellwagen Bank, a shallow ledge in the ocean rich in the marine life eaten by whales, and where all the whale watch boats, from Boston, Provinceton, Plymouth or anywhere else, all go. You can see that it is a rather extensive area though, and that some ports are closer to the shallow points nearest to them than other ports.

…noaa.gov/pgallery/…sb_2000.jpg

All the Gloucester boats go to about the same area of Stellwagen, are informed by the same spotter pilots flying overhead, and also exchange information with one another. It still usually takes 2 hours to arrive from Gloucester harbor to the area where the whales are. I have always gone with Yankee Fleet, usually yearly for decades now, and have always had a good time. I have only once had problems with rough seas, but a lot had to do with the position I chose at the bow of the boat. (back wasnot as rough) Do check the weather before making reservations.

Gloucester, MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching

Cape Ann Whale Watch has the largest vessel North of Boston she is your best bet for comfort to the whales. They have a pill called Travel Time right at the desk if you feel you need it better to be safe than sorry. Take it 30 minuted before boarding and you should be good to go.

www.seethewhales,com

enjoy!

stickney, il
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching

Went whale watching on July 23 from 7 seas. Had a great time-saw 3 humped back whales and a large amount -maybe 50 - of atlantic dolphins. Would recommend for informative and gracious staff- they stopped long enough for everyone to take whale pics! Did take a motion pill before boarding, just in case, but only a 1 3/4 hour ride to whale area.

5. Re: whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Gloucester