We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

After years of negotiations with prospective purchasers, Fisherman’s Wharf, also know as Cabral’s Wharf, in Provincetown has been sold to a developer from Newburyport who plans to build a boutique hotel, boat basin and expand the marina to accommodate large yachts. Work is scheduled to begin soon but details are unavailable. The new owners do have a good record with similar projects including Charlestown Marina and Boston Yacht Haven and Marina. They also manage Fan Pier Marina.

This will certainly change the look of the harbor and give the whole area a boost.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Charlestown
Charlestown
South County, RI
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Fan Pier
Fan Pier
34 Reviews
Boston, MA
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
133 Reviews
from US$57.00*
US$59.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
46 Reviews
from US$60.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,687 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

Yikes! I am not sure how I feel about that. It is not a depressed area that needs a boost. Ptown is packed in season.

Although it is nice to see a new hotel being built after decades of losing hotels to tear-downs and condo-ization .

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

The pier needs some major help. It is a prime area that is not being used to its potential at all. Large, ocean going yachts have been a problem for years. There is no place for them to dock. The only way for people on board to get into town is by dingy. If the hotel is done right it could fill a missing part of the accommodate scene in town.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

I am not looking forward to the huge ships, probably cruise ships with thousands of day-trip tourists that they plan to be able to accommodate at the "redone" pier. It's done deal so all we can hope for is that the developer will be sensitive to the charm and scale that make Provincetown so unique. Otherwise, I fear we are looking at another "Venice, Italy"....ruined by too many tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

There goes the neighborhood.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

I do not believe that cruise ships could dock there. Yachts up to 300 feet are planned and I do not think that more than one of those could dock at a time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,943 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

Howland is correct, this will not be a cruiseship dock!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

There was a cruise ship at Provincetown a few years ago. It moored just inside the breakwater and they shuttled people back and forth to MacMillan Wharf. I didn't notice any increase in the number of people in town. Perhaps not that many people took advantage of the town to come ashore.

I do notice when the tour buses arrive and tons of people are hurrying around wearing their name tags and carrying Cuffy's bags.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
MacMillan Wharf
MacMillan Wharf
256 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,359 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

After a previous vacation in Falmouth that, Howland, is exactly how we began visiting on the Cape. We were on a cruise from Montreal to NYC and I made arrangements for us to literally jump ship in Ptown. Yes we tendered in like the other 800 tourists except that we had our baggage. I had done one of those cape cod novice searches all over in order to find the right ocean front accommodations where we stayed for the second week. I realize that if we had cruised all the way to NYC we might instead be devotees of some other beach village in some other area.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

Well I would like to be optimistic about it but can't help but picture the ritzy new hotel they will most likely construct on the waterfront. There goes our quant fishing village, for sure!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fisherman's Wharf Sold to Developer

To my thinking, Provincetown hasn't been a quaint fishing village for many, many years. An art colony, a gay resort, but not a quaint fishing village. Crown Point hasn't changed Provincetown so I do not think anything built at Cabral's Wharf will significantly alter the town. It should just be more of the same.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA