We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

I thought I posted this last night but must have made a mistake, if not, sorry for the double post!!!

In 10 years we have lucked out with weather but are concerned about next week. If it is not great I was thinking of heading to Boston to go to the aquarium and maybe a restaurant in the N. End. We have a 4 year-old and infant with us. I haven't been to Boston in about 10 years. If we drove, where would we put the car? How long would it take, etc?

Any advice would be great and again, sorry if I posted this previously, I can't find it in the forum!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,638 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

The ferry from Truro to P-town is geared towards those who start in Boston, meaning the first ferry out of P-town is 10:30 or 11 (depending on which company you use) and the last out of Boston is 5:30 or 6:30 ... they say the trip is 90 minutes, but my personal experience is that from the time the boat leaves the doc until the time I'm standing on the ground is closer to 105 minutes .... and of course you need to get there 15 minute before boarding ... so overall you are looking at 5 hours in Boston, MAX.

And it costs $83/person round trip. And if the weather is lousy the seas could be choppy.

My advice would be to drive ... but on a rainy day ... there will most likley be traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,638 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

Oooops ... I didn't answer all your questions ...

driving SHOULD take about 2 hours but if it's rainy you might hit traffic, so plan for a longer time. There are places to stop along Rte 6 that I'm sure you are familiar with. Once over the bridge and onto Rte 3, there is a rest stop in Plymouth that has decent restrooms and a McDonalds. If you get off of Rte 3 and drive past the entrance to teh rest area, you'll find a small commercial district with other food options.

A few years ago I was staying in Truro but had a child who had several medical appts in the Boston area so I made did the round trip 3 times in 2 weeks .... the drive TO boston took anywhere from 2hrs to 3hrs15mins. On the drive home, I was careful to avoid the Boston rush hour and it never took more than 2hrs15mins.

There's plenty of parking garages in Boston. They can be expensive on a weekday .... some as high as $35 but that is significantly less than 2 round trip ferry tickets plus parking in P-town.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

If you take the ferry you won't have the car to use for naptime (baby, not you), changes and bringing all the baby 'stuff'. If the weather is not great then make the trip by car to the Mashpee Children's Museum. It could be the highlight of the trip for your 4 year old. If that does not fill the whole day then go on into Woods Hole to the little aquarium there where you can 'pet' some of the exhibits and you might arrive at the sea lion feeding time. Free admission with ID. If you are in WH then stop for a bite to eat on the water over by the tiny Eel drawbridge and watch the action. It will take you quite a while to get to the Upper Cape but less than going to Boston. Don't forget to pick up a copy of www.kidsonthecape.com with activities that change each month. Lastly, look at the Rainy Day ideas on the right column here.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

Thanks to Charlie and Forgotmypassword...it is great to hear from those who have actual experience with places. I didn't know that about the Ferry so THANK YOU! Of course I can check it for myself while here but that was great to know. I don't want to spend that much for 5 hours. I am glad to know the times it takes from Truro to Boston. That is not bad at all so might come in handy. We are considering going on the way home now because my husband really wants to spend a day in Boston. We have an amazing Children's museum in Rochester, where we live, and our pass makes this one free but now that it is actually raining the kids have been enjoying playing with remote control cars in the condo and I am considering opening a bottle of wine...considering. Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Rochester
Rochester
Finger Lakes, NY
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

Don't forget to check the rainy day activities posted on the right under Top Questions Gina.

Boston...
Level Contributor
146 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

Boston to Truro is on average closer to ~ 3 h by car. Yes you can do it is just over 2 h (2 h 15 m), but that is with NO Traffic and that rarely happens. It will be 3 h on the weekends.

The Ferry from Boston to P-Town is best for folks visiting P'Town only. Unless you want to take a cab (and pay more $) from P-Twon to Truro, best to take your own car to Truro.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
7. Re: Better to travel from Truro to Boston via ferry or drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2017, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Truro