We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy ocean beach access

USA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Easy ocean beach access

Any advice? My wife and I will be in Truro last week of August. Any Ocean beaches we won't have to scale sand dunes or climb in or out of? I've got plenty of bay spots (including where we're staying) but she loves the ocean and I'd like to make it easy on her.

9 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy ocean beach access

In Truro go to Head of the Meadow.

In Provincetown Race Point also has no stairs. Herring Cove is also stair-free but it does face more toward the Bay.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Race point has no stairs? But isn't it a long climb down to the beach? I know some years the stairs are under sand but isn't it still s long climb down and back up? I haven't been to race point since Nov. Howland ... Your post makes me wonder what happened over the winter!?!?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Nauset Beach in Orleans might do. There is a short flight of stairs but nothing like the climb at some of the other ocean beaches. Nauset also has Liam's where you can revive yourself with some onion rings and perhaps a Lime Rickey.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Coast Guard Beach in Eastham is the National Seashore Handicap accessible beach on the ocean side. There is a long ramp to walk from the Coast Guard Station to the beach...no stairs.

USA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Nauset sounds like the ticket. A few stairs not really an issue ...its scaling the dunes . Thanks

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Race Point has no stairs and no climb to the beach. The parking lot and the beach are on the same level.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Cahoon Hollow in Wellfleet has no stairs, but a long climb down from the parking lot to the beach. I never recall stairs or a climb at Race Point. I was there September 2012 and you parked and walked in.

USA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Cahoon Hollow is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. We tried Race Pt last year, parked at north or east end and had a tough climb over a dune. Not sure why we parked at that end.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy ocean beach access

Conditions at beaches do change because of the weather and shifting sand. Cahoon Hollow is a killer. At least the Beachcomber is nice. You could also try Herring Cove. It is a National Seashore beach, but it does face the bay so the water is a bit warmer.

Reply to: Easy ocean beach access
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Truro