We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

Has anyone happened to have been able to spot any of the remnants of shipwrecks at Head of the Meadows? Just wondering how low the tide needs to be (not sure if tomorrow's low tide will be low enough) and wondering where we should look once we get to the beach from the parking lot. Thanks is advance!

Cape Cod Fast Ferry
46 Reviews
US$60 per adult
Free Cancellation
Private Sunset Sailing Experience in...
2 Reviews
US$50 per adult
Free Cancellation
Cape Cod Summer Day Trip from Boston...
197 Reviews
US$74 per adult
Free Cancellation
10 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,687 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

I have never seen any but you should stop in at a National Seashore Visitors' Center in either Eastham or Provincetown (depending on your starting point) and talk to a ranger.

My guess is that some years you see them, others you don't. Sands can shift dramatically over the winter and also during a good summer storm, too

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod National Seashore
Cape Cod National...
524 Reviews
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

That's a good question,, I'll be interested to know also, (maybe my company visiting would like to check it out!) I've seen one years ago,, it's a neat thing to see.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

Disappointing news - I called the National Seashore (the Province Lands Visitor Centre, as the phone numbers for both the Park Headquarters and the Salt Pond Visitor Centres are not in service - perhaps due to funding cuts?). Anyhow, this year, they are not visible. We are going to head up there anyhow with the kids as it sounds lovely. We'll have to use our imaginations to search for pirate treasure with the kids. :)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod National...
524 Reviews
Cape Cod, MA
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

Thanks for the info. Enjoy the beach and your adventures! Btw, there is a pirate museum in Provincetown, on the wharf, that might be interesting for y'all.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 11:13
Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,429 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

I have only heard of one shipwreck that has been visible from the ocean beaches and that was the Whydah. I don't think that it has been visible for a number of years and then only at really low tide.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

The Whydah was "Black Sam" Bellamy's pirate ship, in 1717, that was shipwrecked off the shoals of the Outer Cape, discovered in 1984, by Barry Clifford. The Expedition Whydah pirate museum, MacMillan Wharf, details the history and wreck and discovery, of the ship. Treasure was recovered, you can see the artifacts and coinage at the museum.

Numerous ships have been wrecked on the shoals off this stretch of shore,, the one that was visible some years ago, that I saw, I think it was during winter months, could of possibly been the "Francis", or the "Somerset", which they say, when the shifts in the sand open up the ships grave, and bare their bones. It's pretty cool.

Mentioned in this post
MacMillan Wharf
MacMillan Wharf
256 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

The National Seashore indicates that it was the Francis, if memory serves me. The beach was spectacular, and got to see lots of seals. We did find a big wooden beam sticking out of the sand in the surf. I have no idea what it was. I would have asked the life guards, but they did not seem as knowledgeable about the beach as I would have thought. Should have maybe asked the park staff in the parking lot.... Either way a GREAT day.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod National...
524 Reviews
Cape Cod, MA
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

Awesome!

NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

The FRANCES is visible right now - New Year's Eve 2013. Terrific article on it: wickedlocal.com/truro/news/x65619946/Shipwre…

One of the best things about Cape Cod in winter is the super low tides and shifting sands. I saw the FRANCES today. I've seen the SOMERSET, too.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know,, glad you got to see it! Happy New Year!

Reply to: Head of the Meadows Beach - shipwrecks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Truro