We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worcester, MA

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
318 reviews
Worcester, MA

We will be using Worcester, MA as our lodging and want to see areas around there. We have been to Boston twice, but never to the surrounding area.Definitely want to include Rhode Island since it is the only state we have not visited. We have two or three days. What should we see? We like hiking, historical sights, and natural beauty. Any advice? Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Worcester, MA

Just curious why you chose Worcester and what time of year are you visiting? In Rhode Island, of course, there is Newport which is lovely -- the mansions, the Cliff Walk, the shopping area.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
1 review
2. Re: Worcester, MA

What "surrounding area" are you interested beside RI? As Mahj noted, Worcester doesn't come to mind as a place to see around Boston.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
231 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Worcester, MA

Assume you have a car, and willingness to drive some distance?

You might visit Lexington and Concord. You can get to Cape Ann, Rockport and Gloucester though it will be a bit of a hike.

There are some nice areas for walking in central MA, of varying distances from Worcester...Purgatory Chasm, Quabbin Reservoir, Wachusett Meadow. You can even make a day trip to New Hampshire to hike up Mount Monadnock if that appeals to you.

You aren't too far from Sturbridge Village.

Worcester has a small, nice art musuem. But otherwise not much else in the immediate area.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
168 reviews
4. Re: Worcester, MA

From Worcester you can visit the following nearby places:

Wachusett Mountain

Quabbin Resevoir

Old Sturbridge Village

In Worcester itself there is the Higgins Armory, the Eco Tarium, (very cool) Mechanics Hall, the Worcester Art Museum. There are also some great restaurants including Bocado (tapas) and The People's Kitchen (American comfort food)

If you want to drive a bit further, you can also visit Concord, MA, lots of history including the Minute Man National Historic Park.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
168 reviews
5. Re: Worcester, MA

I just thought of something else, you might want to visit the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA about an hour west of Worcester.

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
318 reviews
6. Re: Worcester, MA

Everyone has been so helpful. Thank you, thank you. I love TripAdvisor forums. We selected Worcester because we could go out from there. Perhaps we should rethink this. We are going in September....have a car...and plan to see more of this beautiful country.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
217 reviews
7. Re: Worcester, MA

Have you been to Worcester before? I just ask because if I was planning my vacation, I would probably not choose to stay there. Would you prefer an urban area to stay or are you thinking to stay more in the countryside?

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
318 reviews
8. Re: Worcester, MA

We chose Worcester because we could spend one day going north east to Concord and Salem, then one day going to Newport, RI. Also, we have Hilton points and could get a good deal at the Hampton Inn in Worcester. Does this make sense or should be do something else?.

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
318 reviews
9. Re: Worcester, MA

We did not know about Mt. Monadnock and are excited about hiking there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
168 reviews
10. Re: Worcester, MA

Hi, Worcester is fine for what you are planning. Like a lot of old New England cities it has both good & bad points. It is centrally-located & easy to get around and less expensive than Boston & Providence. If you've got a hotel you are happy with no reason to change plans.

Get answers to your questions about Worcester