We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 mile and Eminem

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
8 mile and Eminem

My hubby and I along with our 16 year old son are visiting Detoit in June.

My son is a huge fan of Eminem and would love to visit the 8 mile area and Eminem's house.

We would not be touring through these areas at night, but what is the feel of the areas during the day?

Should we be avoiding doing this activity?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

There is nothing special about Eight Mile. It is a very busy, 8-10 lane divided boulevard filled with strip malls, fast food restaurants, auto repair shops and the occasional "gentleman's club". It is a major east-west commuter route so avoid driving it during rush hours (7-9 am, 4-6 pm). It is also heavily patrolled by police so watch your speed if you do drive it. Truthfully there are much better ways to spend your time in Detroit. You can "tour" it on Google street view to get and idea of what I mean.

https://goo.gl/7ok1Ok

If you are referring to his childhood home from the album cover, it was demolished a few years ago.

mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/20…

It looks like Google has not updated recently, so here is the street view of what it looked like a couple months before it was demolished. https://goo.gl/Nmrk87 Today I would expect you will just find a vacant lot.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
875 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

If one is a big fan of the movie, many of the filming locations are known and can be visited. It would be up to you as to how interesting that would be. movie-locations.com/movies/….WGCj-E0o74g

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

I understand there is nothing about 8 mile tev, but try telling a 16 year old who is a mad Eminem fan there is nothing to see there.

He probably just wants to tour the area Eminem grew up in to get a better sense of the singer.

Will it be ok for us to drive the suburb?

As for being a fan of the movie 8 mile, my son can just about recite most of it!! ;)

Thank you for the link to the movie locations site DanielPofMI, that was really handy. My son will most likely be wanting to have photos taken at each location! :D

Williamston...
Level Contributor
875 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

I'm sure if you google, you can probably find even more info on movie locations. Hope your son has a great time with it! I always wanted to check out that cavernous parking garage that used to be the Michigan Theater myself. IIRC, it was also used in the movie Alex Cross.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

Little has changed in the two years since this description: https:/…59974697

Ferndale, Michigan
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

It's not dangerous to just take a drive and stop for a quick picture. As others have said, it's not that interesting, but if your son is a big Eminem fan, the drive will give some insight into his creative process. A big part of the inspiration for his music was the unrelenting dreariness of the massive boulevard he lived near, as well as the symbolic aspect of the road (it is generally known as the dividing lane between white and black/rich and poor in Metro Detroit, although obviously reality is more complex than that).

So if you want to see it, don't let us stop you. And don't be afraid, so long as you use common sense. But don't expect anything beautiful.

Edited: 28 December 2016, 02:27
7. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2017, 02:05

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 mile and Eminem

We actually had cause to visit Detroit in January this year.

My hubby and I were travelling without our son but thought we would do the drive into the 8 mile area.

I found it fascinating. I absolutely fell in love with Detroit despite visiting areas which had streets filled with half burnt houses, boarded up and/or decaying. The architecture was wonderful and the feel of the area was intriguing.

We drove through the areas during the day and while we saw people which appeared dubious, we were ignored and we continued on sightseeing. Mind you, we did not stop anywhere.

It actually broke my heart seeing such a beautiful city (well parts of it) in such poor condition but I did not feel my safety was compromised at any stage.

Reply to: 8 mile and Eminem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Detroit