We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American/ Canadian border

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
American/ Canadian border

I am planning a trip to toronto from Atlanta, Georgia. Since I will be crossing the bordor...What documentation will I need to bring crossing over into Canada and then coming back across. Will everyone in the car need this same documentation??

Ken Smith

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: American/ Canadian border

The short answer is that everyone in the car will need a valid US passport. That presumes that all of you are US citizens. US citizens who visit Canada as tourists do not require a Canadian visa either.

The longer answer is where things can be more complicated. For example, are any minor children traveling with you and, if so, are they accompanied by both parents? Special rules apply if minors are not accompanied by both parents.

Anyone in the car ever convicted of a criminal offense? If so, they might be excluded from entering Canada. Is anyone in the car a citizen of a country other than the US? If they are, do they have a green card? Etc., etc.

Not to make this unduly complicated, but this is a question for which there is no "one size fits all" answer. More info is required to answer you correctly.

Edited: 21 April 2017, 22:53
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
2. Re: American/ Canadian border

A passport card will also work for driving into Canada. They are cheaper than the passport book but are only valid for land or sea travel in North America, including the Caribbean. They will not work for international air travel. I carry one since it was a cheap $40 add on to my passport renewal and living so close to Canada it makes unplanned trips easy. If you don't already have passports and are on a budget they save some money, but if you have any international air travel possibilities in the next 10 years the passport book is the better option.

Some states also offer enhanced drivers licenses that include citizenship information for crossing the border by land, but I'm guessing Georgia is not one of them since not many people make daily commutes to Canada or Mexico.

Here is the official information for entering Canada.


3. Re: American/ Canadian border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Detroit