We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoestring resort

Level Contributor
305 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Shoestring resort

Has anyone been to Shoestring resort?

I'm also considering Ellis Lake Resort.

Would love to read your views.

Thank you!

LaGrange, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoestring resort

Haven't been to Shoestring, but our family reunion was held at Ellis Lake Resort several years ago. I loved the rustic cabins, but we decided not to return because of the proximity to the noisy Highway 31. The cabins are a short walk from a lake that would best be described as a fishing lake. The water is a very dark brown - clean but creepy. We were all reluctant to touch bottom. It would make a nice place for a fishing vacation if you get a cabin away from the road.

Level Contributor
305 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoestring resort

Thanks for your post!

Do you remember how close your cabin was to the hwy? I'm considering the doghouse but I'm not sure how close it is to hwy.

Also, are there any other cabins you'd recommend in the traverse city area?

Edited: 08 June 2011, 16:09
LaGrange, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoestring resort

Sorry for the delay in responding! This info is probably too late, but my family stayed in the Doghouse in 2003 and it was not close to the highway. We had a very pleasant stay there.

We really love Moonlight Bay Resort on Spider Lake, just east of TC. We just returned from a week at Sleeping Bear Resort near Lake Ann and it was wonderful.

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoestring resort

My daughter and I rented a cabin at the Shoestring resort, and upon entering the cabin with Marlene we encountered a stench beyond belief. My daughter and I looked at each other with wide eyes as Marlene took us through the cabin, which was very tastefully decorated and very nice, had it not stunk.

I finally asked Marlene about the smell, and I couldn't even pinpoint what it was, but I was concerned that it might be gas. She said she could smell it too, and we opened everything up to air it out--she also shut the gas off at the pump, and at the stove. The smell did dissipate while everything was open but we had to close it up again while we went out to eat in the city. When we returned the stench was back in full force and we promptly called the front desk.

Marlene's brother came to check it out and said he couldn't smell anything, but he is a smoker so that might be one reason he couldn't smell it. Then he told me that someone had lived there for a year and they had to do a deep cleaning. He said it was the cleaning supplies I smelled. But I know what cleaning supplies smell like, and that was not cleaning supplies we smelled. Personally, I think something got in there and died. It smelled that bad.

in the end, they offered us a trailer. We moved across the street to the trailer, but there were some other hiccups in-between and it just didn't feel right to either my daughter or I. I believe in the power of instinct, and once the brother left, we wanted to leave.

Marlene graciously gave us our money back and I apologized for the trouble. Marlene was very nice, and had our cabin not smelled like that, we would have liked it there. The cabin itself was lovely, and very tastefully decorated. It had a nice sized t.v., ceiling fan, leather couch, washer and dryer, and the bathroom was clean and nice - in fact, it was the only room that didn't stink.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 23:51
Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoestring resort

My daughter and I rented a cabin at the Shoestring resort, and upon entering the cabin we encountered a stench beyond belief. My daughter and I looked at each other with wide eyes as Marlene took us through the cabin, which was very tastefully decorated and very nice, had it not stunk.

I finally asked her about the smell, and I couldn't even pinpoint what it was, but I was concerned that it might be gas. She said she could smell it too, and we opened everything up to air it out--she also shut the gas off at the pump, and at the stove. The smell did dissipate while everything was open but we had to close it up again while we went out to eat in the city. When we returned the stench was back in full force and we promptly called the front desk.

Marlene's brother came to check it out and said he couldn't smell anything, but he is a smoker so that might be one reason he couldn't smell it. Then he told me that someone had lived there for a year and they had to do a deep cleaning. He said it was the cleaning supplies I smelled. But I know what cleaning supplies smell like, and that was not cleaning supplies we smelled. Personally, I think something got in there and died. It smelled that bad.

in the end, they offered us a trailer. We moved across the street to the trailer, but there were some other hiccups in-between and it just didn't feel right to either my daughter or I. I believe in the power of instinct, and once the brother left, we wanted to leave.

Marlene graciously gave us our money back and I apologized for the trouble. Marlene was very nice, and had our cabin not smelled like that, we would have liked it there. The cabin itself was lovely, and very tastefully decorated. It had a nice sized t.v., ceiling fan, leather couch, washer and dryer, and the bathroom was clean and nice - in fact, it was the only room that didn't stink.

6. Re: Shoestring resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2012, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City