We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental near a gym

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
135 posts
35 reviews
51 helpful votes
Rental near a gym
Save

My wife and I are moving to Troy next month and we are looking to rent upscale apt. that is near one of the better gyms in Troy. Does anyone have some advice for the apartment complex or the gym?

Robert

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
228 helpful votes
1. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Well there is a very nice gym in Troy called Lifetime Fitness (http://www.lifetimefitness.com/clubs/index.cfm?strWebAction=club_details&intClubId=112) which is located off of Crooks between Wattles (17 Mile Rd) and Long Lake (18 Mile Rd).

This area is also very close to some great shopping and restaurants at Somerset mall located on Big Beaver (16 Mile Rd). Great area to live in and all of the housing in that area is very upscale. Sorry but I do not know of a specific apartment complex to recommend.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
135 posts
35 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Hi CDJD -thanks for the posting. That gym really does look nice. Which mall is bigger Somerset or Oakland Mall?

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
228 helpful votes
3. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Somerset is definitely bigger (it is actually two malls separated by a skyway over the main road in between). It is a beautiful mall with practically every store. Oakland is just ok. The only reason I would go to Oakland is for Sears & JCPenney but otherwise I do all my shopping at Somerset (completely different atmospheres)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
135 posts
35 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Your input is really going to save us some time with our apt. hunting. Thanks. Now here is another question for the Troy tripadvisor community, what resources are there for adult education classes OTHER than what is available in Troy. As I look thru the Troy university websites the classes don't seem oriented towards personal enrichment, adult ed. classes. So I am wondering what is the nearest university that is a little more cosmopolitan in its offerings.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
228 helpful votes
5. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

I think that your best option (~10-15 min drive) is going to being Oakland Community College (http://www.oaklandcc.edu/) which has several campuses in nearby areas (Auburn Hills, Royal Oak, Bloomfield Hills). Nearby Oakland University in Rochester Hills should also have some great options even though the majority of the school is degree-based programs. I would definitely contact both for a full schedule of their offerings. The variety of classes will most likely be more expansive in the fall/winter months.

Macomb Community College is another good option but definitely a lot further drive (~30-40 min)

The Rochester/Rochester Hills area also offers adult enrichment programs through the RARA organization (http://www.rararecreation.org/)

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
566 posts
70 reviews
228 helpful votes
6. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Another wonderful institute in the nearby Bloomfield Hills area is the Cranbrook Institute (Art Museum, Science Center, Education, Gardens). Not sure if they offer any classes for adult education but it is definitely a most wonderful facility to visit.

http://www.cranbrook.edu/

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
37 helpful votes
7. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Shopping...Summerset over Oakland (hands down)!

In terms of classes:

-Oakland Community College has several campuses.

-Oakland University is to the north.

-Wayne State is downtown Detroit

-University of Detroit Mercy is in northwest Detroit.

-Macamb Community College to the east.

As far as apartments I would consider looking into Birmingham also. It is the next city over from Troy (to the West) with many upscale apartments, great shopping, restaurants, bars, and walkable downtown area.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
135 posts
35 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Wow, all this information if so helpful. Thank you very much.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Don't forget to check out the other areas around Troy. Birmingham, Royal Oak & Ferndale are great & have tons of wonderful places to eat & to wander. (Lots of other places are great, too, so I don't mean to leave them out.) My husband lived at Regents Park for a year & absolutely loved it. They do have heated garages, which is nice in the winter. It's just across from Somerset & has easy access to I-75. It's not far from the gyms or anything in the area. Welcome to Michigan!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
135 posts
35 reviews
51 helpful votes
10. Re: Rental near a gym
Save

Thanks for the post LLMCK. We are really at a lost as to how to make a decision about where to live. We want to be in Troy because of the hospital. (We are trying to have a baby.) But I am looking forward to exploring the areas you mentioned. We will definitely check out Regents Park. Is there a central office there where we could find out about rentals or do we just have to scour the newspaper? Heated garages sounds like a great idea! I have lived in the Caribbean most my life.

Get answers to your questions about Troy
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.