We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mussels?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mussels?

Odd question, I know. We've enjoyed wonderful oysters whenever we've been in New Orleans, and on our recent trip to Bay St. Louis we also found some tasty delights!! My darling daughter, however, is an absolute lover of mussels!! I've actually tried scouring the menu's of some of the restaurants in Bay St. Louis, and can't seem to find them listed anywhere. Are mussels just not a Mississippi Gulf Coast "thing?" Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,345 posts
1,730 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mussels?

Now, this does not mean that there are no Mussels, or Clams, sourced locally on the Gulf Coast, but they are likely to be very rare, due to the indigenous species along the Coast - mainly tiny, Razor-necklace Clams.

Oysters are much more predominant, and often featured, though some might be sourced from LA, ot TX, at certain times of the year.

Hope that others have recs for local Mussels in Bay St Louis.

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mussels?

Thanks...My husband and I LOVE oysters. Baby girl will just need to adjust I guess.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,345 posts
1,730 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mussels?

Suze,

That sounds like a plan!

We travel, more than we are at home, and always try to embrace what is local, to the location.

We do not seek out Blue Crabs in San Francisco, or Speckled Trout in Hawaii, regardless of however much we enjoy them.

Almost like looking for Philly Cheesesteaks in Tokyo.

Most of all, enjoy!

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mussels?

Thanks - Great advice!! We're hoping to get better and better at this traveling stuff...

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
849 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mussels?

The best rated seafood restaurant in Mississippi is called Saltine. It's in Jackson. They have mussels but they are PEI (Prince Edward Island). Here in Mississippi we have a new group of restaurants all locally owned named The Half Shell. Check out their menu. They can do some amazing things with oysters. Also ... have you ever enjoyed fresh yellow fin tuna ?? Order it seared with wasabi. I assume you have already dined at Trapani's in Bay St Louis ??

Mentioned in this post
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Saltine
Saltine
152 Reviews
Jackson, MS
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mussels?

Yes to Trapani's and loved it! Can't wait for our week in Bay St. Louis is April to further investigate all of the wonders that the town (and the area) has to offer!! Thanks all.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Mussels?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay Saint Louis