We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise OR sunset?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise OR sunset?

So, sunrise or sunset? Is either one a showstopper in Bay St. Louis? Living directly on the East Coast now, at our beach communities, it's almost always the sunrise over the ocean that provides the beautiful photo opps. Not familiar with "how it works" when you're on the Gulf, basically facing south. It would be nice to think that you could get beautiful sunsets AND sunrises by simply turning your head.....

Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
829 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise OR sunset?

Our Mississippi gulf coast has an east west orientation resulting in both beautiful sunrise and sunsets depending on weather conditions. Although in BSL the sunrises are the best from the marina as there are unobstructed views looking east over the gulf for miles and miles. To catch the best of both we prefer the views from the marina in Gulfport. Something else to consider if your there at the right time of the month ... the full Moon rises from the east can be spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Gulfport
Gulfport
Mississippi
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,394 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise OR sunset?

Suze,

I was fortunate to have experienced many of both, though most often from Gulfport, Biloxi or Pass Christian.

For me, one of the best locations for sunrise, was around the Gulfport harbor. Great location for sunset too.

Now, the town of Bay St Louis sits on a bit of land, that runs mostly N-S, thought the general Coast, runs E-W. The orientation favors sunrises from "downtown," but in only a mile, or so, the shoreline turns E-W, to Waveland. That little turn opens up the views toward New Orleans.

Depending on time of year, and exact weather, clouds often built over New Orleans, and could be spectacular at sunset. Unlike some places, seeing the sun "slip into the ocean," on the MS Gulf Coast was more about the beautifully lit clouds.

Enjoy!

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
Gulfport
Gulfport
Mississippi
Biloxi
Biloxi
Mississippi
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise OR sunset?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your answers!! You have both made me very happy. Can't wait to be there in April to catch my first Bay sunrises & sunsets.

Reply to: Sunrise OR sunset?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay Saint Louis