We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting next year. Safety?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting next year. Safety?

My husband and I are visiting the area, we literally know nothing about it. It is a safe area? Also, and I hate to ask this, how diverse is the area? I am not really familiar with the gulf coast and we are an interracial couple (black/hispanic).

1 reply
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,358 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting next year. Safety?

As mentioned in the Mississippi thread, I have never observed, or heard of issues.

Even back in the 1950's & 1960's, when the Civil Rights movement was making the press, the Coast, in general, was very laid back. During the "wade-in," in Biloxi, a few folk stopped by to see what was happening, but there was more press, than residents. Same for the Gulfport Greyhounf Bus Station restaurant "sit-in." Some stopped, but mostly just went about their lives.

Now, not THAT many miles inland, things were not so calm, or casual - just not much on the Coast, itself.

Now, I cannot promise that you will not encounter a "bad player," somewhere, as I can only speak in generalities, and my historic observations.

One other good thing, about Bay/Waveland, and Pass Christian, is that many of the residents are from New Orleans, a metropolitan city, that has been multi-racial, in its makeup, for centuries.

Last, I do not know about VRbO. However, there is a great guest house in Gulfport, The Almanett, which is owned by a wonderful black gentleman, Michael. Beside the guest house, there is a bistro, with comedy, music and good food. It is just north of the Beach. On so,e nights in the bistro, I think that we might have been the only white couple, and were warmly welcomed. If you have concerns, The Almanett might be a "Plan B?"

Enjoy!

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Biloxi
Biloxi
Mississippi
Gulfport
Gulfport
Mississippi