We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

Thinking about heading to New Orleans after our Gulf Shores, AL vacation. US-90 looks interesting on the maps, traversing all the water ways and bridges. Am I wrong to think that this may be the scenic route, or should I stay on the big highway I-10? My plan is to take the Ft. Morgan / Dauphin Island Ferry and eventually pick up US-90 West. What are the pro's & con's?

22 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,961 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

I have always found US-90 to be very scenic, with lovely little towns to explore along the way, Ocean Springs, Biloxi, Gulfport, Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis/Waveland. Each is different, and each has a story to tell you.

The cons are the speed limit is lower, with good cause, but that should not be an issue, as you want to see things, and then there can be traffic, that can hold one up a bit - still, just more time to look around.

I-10 is not a bad drive, and though it is inland a bit, one still sees some lovely territory - still, I would do US-90, and take my time.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

Thank you Bill_Hunt for your helpful reply. We don't have any inpatient little ones in the car, so I was hoping that we could take the time to experience the locale. It certainly will be a pleasant contrast to the Midwest, where we live.... and isn't that the purpose of a get-away vacation?!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

We really like the Ocean Springs and Long Beach areas. You can actually park and walk along the beach in both areas. Lots of good places to eat too.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

This is good to hear, thank you, PeachBelle

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,961 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

Meghan,

You are most welcome.

I am not sure about a "tourist bureau" in Ocean Springs (gotta' be one?), but the one in Biloxi (right across from the Biloxi lighthouse) is a good one, and worth the stop.

As Peachbelle points out, stopping along the beach, from Biloxi to Pass Christian, is easy, as there are many cross-overs (between the lanes of US 90), and parking areas for most of the 28 miles. Unfortunately, many of the places that I would have mentioned as absolute must-dos, have been washed away, with Hurricane Katrina. Still, there IS much to see, and to experience.

Travel safely, and enjoy greatly,

Hunt

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
579 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

One of my fav drives! Soon after you go through Pascagoula, the road will meet with I-10. We continued on 90 past that once, but haven't since. Not a scenic stretch, just slow. To get across the water in Mobile to Gulf Shores, you need to get on I-10 anyway. Unless you're just in a hurry, I know of no pros for choosing I-10 the whole way. We like to take I-10 out of NOLA, then drive from Bay St. Louis (exit at Rt. 607 or 43) to Pascagoula along the coast.

There's a nature preserve in Ocean Springs, MS (free):

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g43929-d28…

Beauvoir (not free):

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g43686-d10…

Ohr-O'Keefe museum (not free):

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g43686-d10…

Hurricane Katrina took down many old trees, leaving large stumps. Many of these have been carved into animal shapes, so be on the lookout for them, they're awesome. Also so many great, giant old houses, giant trees covered with Spanish moss. All along the side by the water are places you can pull over to go stick your toes in the sand/ocean.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

Hello, I've come across your post and it's April 2017. Did you do this route 90 trip. Being from New England it looks intriguing to me. If you wouldn't mind please give me your outcome, thanks in advance!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,961 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

You might wish to send the OP a PM (Personal Message), as they might no longer monitor this thread.

Click their Profile, then below their avatar, click on Send Mesage.

Good luck,

Hunt

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
707 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

I can help you out on your request about the condition of highway 90 ... 2014 vs 2017. Simply put it just keeps getting better. As I'm sure you well know Hurricane Katrina didn't just hammer the coast ... it wiped us out. Many, many resorts and restaurants have rebuilt. New residential homes line 90 ... beautiful homes I might add. Miles of white sand beaches. It's not a problem to drive at all ... speed is slower and it's quite comfortable with views galore. Whereas I-10 is a monster with heavy commercial traffic and everyone driving fast. I avoid I-10.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?

hello! We are traveling from Pensacola to New Orleans in Sept. I would love to hear about your trip on US-90! Any cool things to see? Any placed to stop? Thanks so much!

Reply to: US-90 W from Alabama to New Orleans. Is it scenic?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay Saint Louis