We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local transportation

1 post
Local transportation

My wife's nephew in England has heard about Bay St Louis and would like to visit for a day sometime later this year. He will be staying with my wife and I in Biloxi for about a week. He won't be renting a car but wants to get around on his own. I have been asked to inquire about public transportation in the city. My thinking is that bus service will likely be limited. Taxi service would seem to be the most practical. I'm not seeing anything regarding this type of information. Can anyone offer advice? Thank you.

Edited: 28 June 2016, 09:53
5 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
1,831 reviews
1. Re: Local transportation

Bus service is limited, beyond Biloxi and Gulfport, but check out coast transit.com.

Once, there was bus service between Ocean Springs and Bay St Louis, but that has been very slow to come back.

Even bus service in Gulfport is but a shell of its former self. There were about twenty bus routes in town, and now, I think there are three.

Good luck,

Hunt

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Local transportation

The Coast Transit Authority runs some busses/trolleys, but these are mostly novelty and not great for real transportation, mostly because you can't really get off one and wait for the next to get further, etc. But some of them are decent for running around certain parts of Gulfport/Biloxi. There's even a trolley that runs along the beach in Waveland and Bay St. Louis. Hard to say how long that one will last though. The last Bay/Waveland trolley only lasted a couple months.

https://coasttransit.com/routes-schedules/

It's really a shame Amtrak isn't running here anymore, because the Bay St. Louis trolley stops at the train depot. The train used to stop in both Bay St. Louis and BIloxi. Maybe one day.

Edited: 22 July 2016, 02:14
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
1,831 reviews
3. Re: Local transportation

Thanks for that update.

Back before Amtrak, the L&N Hummingbird, used to stop all along the Gulf Coast, from Ocean Springs, to Waveland, with a stop at the old Edgewater Beach Hotel and Golf Resort.

I still have fond memories riding that, first with my parents to New Orleans, and then by myself in the early 60's. Up until at least 1967, it still ran, as my GF (wife now) rode it from NOLA to Gulfport.

Gone are the days, sad,y.

I wonder if there are enough riders, to support a robust bus service on the Coast any longer. Once, Gulfport had a robust bus service, with many runs between Gulfport and Biloxi. Though I had to walk to Hwy 90, I rode the buses to lifeguard at Great Southern CC, Sun-and-Sand and Broadwater Beach, all in the mid-1960's.

Again, thank you,

Hunt

Edited: 22 July 2016, 07:40
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
91 posts
83 reviews
4. Re: Local transportation

Interestingly enough, Amtrak ran a feasibility study train back in February. It originated in New Orleans and ran to I think Jacksonville, FL, and picked up dignitaries from the 3 states (Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida) along the way to drum up interest. It was very popular, and from what I've read Amtrak has already drafted and submitted a plan for what they need to get that train running again.

Most of these feasibility studies don't pan out, and Amtrak is certainly not in a position to be adding many new trains, but this one seems a lot closer to reality than many others. It's still several years away in a best case scenario, though.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
1,831 reviews
5. Re: Local transportation

Interesting.

It would be great, if Amtrak could provide services, other than on the Coasts, or long-haul. Even those long-haul trains suffer mightily from bad on-time performance, high prices, and mediocre service.

Here, I would normally interject one of my USA Gov comments, but will refrain.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

Reply to: Local transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay Saint Louis