We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Advice for Kansas City Trip

Boston...
8 posts
Save Topic
General Advice for Kansas City Trip

Visiting in July for 2-3 nights as a first time visitor to Kansas City with a friend of mine. Looking for an area close to bars/restaurants that hopefully we could walk to from our hotel. We plan on going to Kaufmann Stadium, checking out multiple BBQ places, and hitting up various bars.

Looking to know what area of the city we should stay in? Also any hotel suggestions that are nice but not overly expensive would be great.

Also suggestions on good brewpubs or craft brew bars would be great as well!

KC
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

You will be able to find several hotels in the $150 -$200 range either downtown or on the Plaza. It would be my reccomendation to stay at either of those locals.

Plenty of BBQ and nightlife/bars to be found around those areas.

I would look into trying to book a Bouldevard tour (beer). For craft beer I would reccomend McCoy's and Beer Kitchen. Those two places are located in Westport and are a mere 50 feet from each other.

Concerning Kauffman stadium. The Royals are not in town when you are visiting and it doesn't look like they are doing stadium tours on those dates either. To be honest with you i don't know of anyone who has done a tour of the K. I actually had to look it up to see if they even offered it. I would use that time to explore this great city. If your into baseball the Negro Leagues Museum is a great place to visit.

Edited: 13 April 2016, 05:35
Independence...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

Kauffman Stadium tours are available while the team is out of town. There are different price points (the cheapest is $17, and will get you into the Hall of Fame, the Royals dugout, and other spots). You actually didn't give the dates you are here, though, so the Royals may be here when you are (and then the Hall of Fame is free). They play 13 games here in July. I suggest you secure your tickets ahead of time, though. We do sell out frequently, especially on the weekends (I work at the stadium).

I would add that you can expand your hotel search to the Union Station/Crown Center area. Kansas City has a new (free) streetcar service opening this summer that will run along Main St. from Union Station through downtown to River Market.

Boulevard Brewery offers a tour, which you might find interesting. There are lots of bars and pubs in the midtown area (near Union station) to downtown. I'm not much help in the craft beer department, though.

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

Thank you for your responses. We are coming in July 7th-9th, so there are Royals games at that time. Great to know about the streetcar service and those craft beer bars. Boulevard Brewing was on our radar, so you both seemed to confirm it is worth hitting up! thanks for taking the time.

Independence...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

You might see if you can get tickets to the Craft & Draft bar at the K. It was added last year. People seem to enjoy it.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

We will be flying into Kansas July 19. Visiting a friend in Omaha the 20th-21st , then back to Kansas . Leave Kansas on 24th . Never been to either . Any suggestions on sites we MUST see while in Kansas. Not into nightclubs and we have no lil ones with us .

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
583 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

You mean your flying into Missouri, the airport is in Missouri and the largest city in the area is Kansas City Missouri. Most of the tourist sites are on the Missouri side like the Plaza, WWI Musuem and the Art Museums. Fun stuff for kids are the Zoo (Omaha zoo would be better though), LegoLand, SeaLife (Pretty small though)

One of the fun things you could do is ride the streetcar, it will be up and running and it is free.

Edited: 25 April 2016, 21:42
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

Hotel/Location:

Two real options here; stay downtown where the Power & Light district really heats up on the weekend and you can party like you're in college (again?). There is a Yard House (chain) location downtown which offers a lot of beers on tap. Also, your typical irish pubs, american bars and dance spots all in the same area. Restaurants within walking distance of Power & Light District include 801 Chophouse, Bristol, a sushi option a japanese steakhouse option and many bar locations that have bar type food.

Your other great option for staying in a hotel near food, beer and entertainment is the Plaza as mentioned in other posts. The Raphael is a small hotel that is fairly nice. There is an Intercontinental, a Hotel Sorella and Marriott and Hilton properties. If you stay on or near the Plaza, you are near several good beer, bar and foodie options as well.

Beer/Brews:

If you elect downtown, you have the distinct opportunity of drinking the swill they call beer at Gordon Biersch (admittedly harsh overstatement) or you can find a few very small local breweries in the Crossroads district. Boulevard is close to dowtown. As mentioned, Yard House is an option at P&L.

The Plaza/Westport area has a few good options, with McCoys being a possibility. Foundry is next door to that, both are in the Westport area, and I think the Foundry has a better beer list. Beer Kitchen is a gastropub with good beers but a somewhat limited beer list. Their food menu is fun and a little different and worth a view online if nothing else. When all else fails and you need more beer options, Uber.

BBQ:

Really, your bbq options are a bit spread out and not centralized in an area. The goodies are - (a) Q 39 (b) Jack Stack (c) Joe's Kansas City, formerly Oklahoma Joe's (d) Char Bar.

Jack Stack and Char Bar are fairly close, with JS on the plaza and Char Bar in Westport (decent beer list here, too). When I think Jack Stack, I picture their cheesy corn and something called the Crown Prime Rib. Picture a rib...now picture your forearm. Now picture a rib the size of your flipping forearm. Yeah, amazingly good.

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

RyanP_KC,

Thank you very much for your response. This is the kind of information I was hoping for!! I really appreciate it. To answer you question, yes it would have to be us recapturing our college days that is for sure....haha. This should get us guys on the right track! Good to know about the Char Bar, we had our eye on the other three but not that one. Thanks again.

9. Re: General Advice for Kansas City Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2017, 14:17