We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
362 reviews
Save Topic
Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Hi Folks-- My wife and friend are attending a conference in Leawood in July. She is flying in to KC from Canada. She is staying for 4 days but the conference is a one day event.

I am thinking it would make sense to get a good location in Kansas City and cab in and out of Leawood. I am not sure what Leawood has to offer (no offense) compared to Kansas City.

They have never been here before and want to take in the local culture and see the sights.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have no idea of taxi costs or how far Leawood is away.

Thanks again.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Leawood is largely a bedroom community which shares a common border with Kansas City, Missouri. The north end of the community is about 4 miles from the Country Club Plaza area of KCMO and may be the kind of place you are thining of for her. Leawood runs primarily north/south and the far end is about 10 miles farther away.

I have never used a taxi here, but 10/10 Taxi is $10 for the first 5 miles plus $2/additional mile.

If I was spending that long in Kansas City, I would rent a car. This is an easy city to get around, with much lighter traffic than larger cities and most areas of the metro have free parking.

Independence...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

I agree. Rent a car. Taxis aren't reliable. She would have to call one pretty much any time she wanted to go someplace. And, yes, Leawood wouldn't be a terribly exciting place to stay, although there are good places to eat in the area. I would look at staying in the Plaza or Midtown (Crown Center) area.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

I really appreciate your input. I am not sure I can convince her to rent a car but will have to see.

After the conference, they just want to find some nice restaurants and take a tour. Of course, shopping is a plus. If you think of any more words of wisdom, that would also be great. Thanks again.

Independence...
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Work on that car rental! KC really is an easy city to drive in (and park). Getting a car at the airport also solves the issue of getting to the city from the airport (of course, some hotels have shuttles, and there are taxis).

There are lots of shopping and restaurants near Leawood, in Overland Park, but the Plaza is the prettiest shopping area, and has quite a few hotels. It is not far from downtown, and there are cabs available there (and city buses). If she stays just north, in the Crown Center area, she can catch our new (free!) streetcar to take her downtown and into the river market area. So many places to eat in the area! Crown Center does have some shopping, as well.

There is a "trolley" that does tours of KC.

http://www.kcfuntours.com

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
622 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

You could possibly take public transportation from the Plaza or Downtown to Leawood, i would look on google maps and pick the transit option. Is it at a hotel or at a convention center down there? Leawood really isn't that horrible, park place is nice, as well as town center when it comes to shopping but if you want to see the Art Musuems, Fountains, WW1 musuem, Union Station and other things you probably should stay in KCMO.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Thank you everyone.

Kansas
Level Contributor
487 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Uber is a good alternative to taxis or car rental in KC.

Leawood has a few very nice restaurants.

Consider a downtown or Crown Center hotel to utilize the new and free street car.

The Country Club Plaza is city's jewel of shopping, dining and people watching and offers upscale hotels.

The nearby Nelson Atkins Mueum is a very fine museum by any standard.

Joe's or Q39 are among the best of many KC BBQ that offer something for almost any carnivore.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

Thanks Folks.

9. Re: Makes sense to me, but no one else!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2017, 12:17