We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

Coming from WA on a road trip to hang out with my son who works on a ranch in Big Sandy (north of Great Falls). Much as I love Missoula, spending a night there doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of our drive. We'll more likely land there midday. I'd like to enjoy lunch and a couple of hours. A decent meal, and a short, decent walk. Any suggestions? Thank you!

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Five on Black
$, Brazilian, Fast food
Catalyst Cafe
$$ - $$$, American, Cafe
The Notorious Pig BBQ
$$ - $$$, American, Barbecue
5 replies to this topic
Montana
Level Contributor
77 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

Have lunch at Tamarack on the back deck and walk the trail upriver. Or eat at the Top Hat. There are many good restaurants downtown near the riverwalk.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions.

~ Colleen

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,136 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

Not a lunch suggestion for Missoula but a stop between there and the ranch =

Do you know about Gates of the Mountains? If not, take a look as a possible way to spend a wonderful few hours -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Mentioned in this post
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Montana
Level Contributor
102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

The Tamarack is where I always take guests from out of town. It has something for everyone, but there are many great restaurants downtown depending on what cuisine you want. Biga Pizza, Five on Black (Brazilian place), Masala Indian, and the Top Hat are all local favorites. As far as a walk, the riverfront trail is great. Caras Park is right by the river where you can watch surfers if the water is right. If you’d like more than a stroll you cold check out the M trail behind the university or Waterworks just north of downtown. Both have splendid views of the Missoula Valley. Waterworks is easier as the M is at the top of many switchbacks. At some point you could also treat yourself to some ice cream from either Sweet Peaks or Big Dipper. Great post hike snack.

Mentioned in this post
Five on Black
Five on Black
244 Reviews
Missoula, MT
Caras Park
Caras Park
165 Reviews
Missoula, MT
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?

I did the Gates of the Mountains boat tour years ago, when my brother was stationed at Great Falls. Wonderful, I agree! I have it in mind, for sure, if timing allows. Thanks, onemoreroad!

And thank you, CJ, for the additional suggestions. We may even end up staying a night in Missoula, coming or going. Great town. Ever since I first went, I've meant to get out there for the marathon!

~ Colleen

Mentioned in this post
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Reply to: Couple of hours & lunch, midday on a road trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted