We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip in September

Waxahachie, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip in September

We will be driving from Medora, ND to Red Lodge Montana. We plan to get up early to leave the hotel in Medora and travel through the South Unit of the Roosevelt State Park. We estimate that will take us around 2 hours if we stop for pictures along the way, but don't plan to do any hiking. Then we will travel from there to Red Lodge. It doesn't really matter what time we get to Red Lodge, since we will just be staying there one night then plan to drive the Beartooth Hwy the next day, ending up in West Yellowstone where we will be staying for 2 days to do some driving through Yellowstone NP. We are wondering if it is worth the side trip to the Little Big Horn Battlefield as we drive through Montana, and if so, how long would that take.

Mentioned in this post
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
South Unit
South Unit
182 Reviews
Theodore Roosevelt National Park, ND
Montana
Montana
United States
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip in September

If you decide to go down to the Little Bighorn Battlefield get off of I94 at exit 49 and take the Highway 47 cut-across to Hardin thand then down to the battlefield on I90. Don't go all the way to Billings on I94 and then south on I90. When you're done touring the battlefield, drive to Billings on I90 and then down to Red Lodge.

Whether its worth it or not is subjective. Most people find the battlefield very interesting. I would think that you should plan on being there 1-2 hours so add that to the time it would take you to drive down there and back up to Billings. It will be about 50 miles to drive down to the battlefield from exit 49 so basically the same mileage to get to Billing from that exit. The extra driving time to tack on to your day would be from the battlefield back up to Billings which is about 65 miles so just a tad under a hour on the interstate.

My suggestion is to check your time as you start nearing the turnoff exit and decide then. If you have plenty enough time to take a 3-4 hour detour then go for it.

You can go to this Sunrise/Sunset Calendar for Montana and put in Red Lodge in for the city along with September 2017 to get sunset times for the days you're traveling. That will give you an idea of how much time you have to avoid driving in the dark.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/Montana.asp

For sunrise/sunset times for different locations inside national parks use this link that has multiple locations in Yellowstone Park and Grand Teton Park in their pulldown menu.

www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/NationalParks/

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Billings
Billings
Montana
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Montana
Montana
United States
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip in September

"We are wondering if it is worth the side trip to the Little Big Horn Battlefield "

Very definitely!

I was along for the ride on that trip and wasn't that excited about the plan, but I was blown away by the memorial - especially the Native American circle with plaques and ironwork horses. Also teared up at the monument to the calvary horses. As I stood there, with the wind blowing across the plains, I got a new appreciation for those who lived on and fought for the plains.

Re routing, we went from YNP to Red Lodge back down to Cody and then over to LBH and then on to Billings. The drive from Cody to LBH was gorgeous! Felt like we were in the red rocks of Sedona.

On another trip we did the Beartooth and then continued on toward Livingston. Don't know how long your trip is, but the drive on up north to Great Falls is lovely and some of my favorites are in Great Falls. That may be "too far" for you.

Edited: 07 July 2017, 03:32
Mentioned in this post
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Waxahachie, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip in September

Thanks for both of these suggestions. I would not have thought to check the times for sunsets, but do know that we do not want to be driving much after dark. Guess we'll see when we leave Medora and the Roosevelt State Park and decide how much time we have when we reach the turnoff and calculate the 3-4 hours we would need.

Mentioned in this post
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
4. Re: Road trip in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2018, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Red Lodge