We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Christmas with a toddler

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
White Christmas with a toddler

G'day all! We are an Aussie family of 3 living in Florida, USA. Just like so many of the Aussies posting in this forum, we are excited about a White Christmas. We are thinking of a few days in Quebec City, Canada before heading to Jackson, NH for Christmas. Alternatively, we are also considering a few days in Jackson then Christmas in Quebec City. We are open to advice as to what the best things to see and do are for a little one and also where to stay. How many days would be best in Jackson?

Accommodation wise, we are looking for somewhere that will have wonderful Christmas atmosphere (mulled wine / hot choc / Christmas stories / Christmas tree etc) and we are looking to spend no more than about 175 USD$/night.

Regarding travel, we would fly from Jacksonville or Orlando Florida. Advice on airlines and easy transport from the airport to accommodation is also welcome. We'd prefer not to hire a car (noting the potential weather conditions) if we don't have to. I've quickly read the FAQ but I'm also keen to hear from others in a similar situation to us.

Hit me with your best advice! :)

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Carter Notch Inn
Carter Notch Inn
#1 of 11 B&Bs / Inns in Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
#1 of 4 hotels in Jackson
Inn at Ellis River
Inn at Ellis River
#2 of 11 B&Bs / Inns in Jackson
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

You may want to take a look at this for your family:

christmasfarminn.com/new-hampshire-vacation-…

The no more than 175 per night will certainly limit your selections, especially during a holiday week.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

"Easy transport from the airport to accommodations" will likely be problematic for destinations in Jackson (or most other destinations in New Hampshire's White Mountains). The nearest major airports are going to be in Boston, Massachusetts or Portland, Maine or Manchester, New Hampshire -- all at least 60 miles from airport to Jackson.

Highway maintenance crews in Maine and New Hampshire do an excellent job of clearing the roads during and after snowstorms. Unless you hit a major blizzard (when even public transportation would likely shut down), driving on main highways and generally used local roads shouldn't be a problem. Roads are treated with ice-melting salt and traction-enhancing sand before, during and after snowstorms. In most cases major roads are bare pavement the day after a major storm.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,312 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

1. You need a car

2. Snow is not a guarantee except on a ski slope.

3. Budget is probably low for Xmas week especially if the want the whole "white Christmas- Bing Crosby" experience.

4. Not sure about the stories part but if your kid is small, then you may want to try to get tix for Polar Express. Tickets are by lottery but many lodging establishments get tix and include as part of a package deal.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,701 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

I cannot imagine seeing anything in this area without a car

Check out Whitney's Inn at the base of the Black Mountain ski area.

Mentioned in this post
Whitney's Inn
Whitney's Inn
258 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Black Mountain
Black Mountain
87 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

Thanks for all the tips! I'm waiting to hear back from the Christmas Farm Inn about their Polar Express package so we can plan the rest of our trip. If we don't hear back soon though we will need to rethink our dates. We would still love to spend a few days in Jackson!

Mentioned in this post
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
344 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

Hi all, thanks again for your advice! We are booked in for the Polar Express package at the Christmas Farm Inn and we are very excited!! We have a few options for transport but I would love to read your thoughts.

We can either: Hire a car and drive from Montreal and back or; Fly from Quebec City to Manchester and hire a car before returning to Quebec City to continue our holiday. Should we still hire a car or look for some sort of transport to/from an airport? Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
344 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

That's great that the Polar Express package at Christmas Farm Inn worked out for you. I would suggest renting (hiring) a car to get around the area to the many different restaurants. You certainly don't want to limit your vacation (holiday) to the grounds of the Christmas Farm Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Christmas Farm Inn
Christmas Farm Inn
344 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

Congratulations on landing the Christmas Tree Farm package... should make a great Christmas holiday experience for you.... But I would strongly recommend hiring/renting a car for the New Hampshire portion of your trip. Jackson is a small New England village (less than 1,000 year-round residents) so it's not a destinatino with good public transportation connections.... and while the Christmas Tree Inn is a great destination, you may well discover there are other things to do/see nearby that will be much easier to reach if you have your own transportation.

If you decide to rent/hire your car in Montreal and drive from there to Jackson and then on to Quebec City, be sure whichever company you rent it from allows cross-border travel (some of the rental agencies can still get rather provincial)....

I really am not clear about your other option.... whether you intend to somehow get from Montreal to Quebec City (by public transport), fly from there to Manchester, get your car there (all of which would work) and then 1) drive the rental back to Quebec City from Jackson or 2) drive the car back to Manchester and fly back to Quebec. If it's Option 1, I would offer the same caution about making sure cross-border travel, plus returning the car in a couontry different from the one you got it in, won't be a problem, Also be sure to check on any surcharges for returning it some place other than where you picked it up. If it's Option 2, picking up the car at the Manchester Airport and returning it to the same location should be very simple. The question, I guess, would be the comparitive cost of flying back to Quebec City compared to the additional charges for dropping off the rental car in Quebec City instead of Manchester.... I have no idea what the cost difference might be... it probably would vary from one car rental company to another so would have to be checked out carefully...

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
New England
New England
United States
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

Thanks MainerOnTheGo, we fully intend to hire a car to get to Jackson and we are still trying to work out the best and most cost effective way of picking one up. I hadn't thought about cross-border travel charges so thank you for pointing that out :)

Overnight we looked at flying to Portland and driving from there to Jackson before returning and flying on to a Canadian major city so we could catch the train to Quebec City. I've been getting very strong advice not to drive at all from the Quebec forum due to the potential weather but we still need to prepare to get to Jackson. Plenty of other people manage to do it and so can we.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
10. Re: White Christmas with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Jackson