We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth for July 4th?

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
568 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Portsmouth for July 4th?

Hi,

Possibly thinking of ending our 2 week New England roadtrip in Portsmouth.

Our final night is July 4th, we fly home from Boston on Saturday July 5th.

Would Portsmouth be a good place to spend July 4th? Is there anything going on/happening? Fireworks etc?

Maybe looking to spend the final two nights in Portsmouth.

Many Thanks

europe-chick

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

I am sure that there are things going on in Portsmouth and up and down the coast but if you are not afraid of crowds, then I would suggest going to the Boston Pops concert at the Hatch shell on the 4th. There will be hundreds of thousands of people having a great time and a couple more can't hurt.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
568 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

Thanks for the super quick reply neslaw1.

I'd spend July 4th in Boston in a heartbeat, but unfortunately my two (male) travelling companions would hate the crowds (and the concert!) in Boston!

europe-chick

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

Well you could just ditch them but assuming that is not a possibility, then pretty soon you should be able to find out all the 7/4 events up and down the coast. http://www.seacoastonline.com/ is one place to start. If you could stay closer to the beach and drive into Portland, I would think that would be more fun than staying in Portland. Just a thought

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
568 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

Thanks again.

Nope, need to stay together!

I'm open to any suggestions you may have for somewhere else to stay. One of the others suggested Portsmouth, so it's not necessarily the top of my list.

Ideally I'd like somewhere with something going on for July 4th I think. Though unfortunately Boston itself isn't really an option.

europe-chick

NH
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

I'm sure there will be stuff happening in Portsmouth. There will definitely be fireworks on the beach in Hampton. ...Just a few miles down the road. I'm pretty sure they will have a concert also. ...A mini version of the Boston festivities.

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
568 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

thanks allfinsnmask

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

Hampton Beach, about 12 miles down the coast from Portsmouth, has fireworks sevefal nights a week, maybe every night, during the summer. They have a bandstand with free concerts. It is the tourist draw end of the NH beaches with boardwalk and lots of action. I am almost certain that they do a big thing with fireworks for the fourth of July. I would bet that there is somethjng in Portsmouth, too.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

There were fireworks 2013 in Portsmouth so I imagine there will be this year. Looks like they are held July 3 (very common to have them the night before the 4th). Portsmouth is one of my favorite NE cities.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

It is actually amazing how many small and large towns have fireworks for the 4th. If you plan to be in the Portsmouth area, you can check the paper, or go online to their website. They will almost certainly list all the locations for fireworks in the area, very broadly, and the day and time they will occur. You can also find this information on the WMUR Ch 9 website, and perhaps elsewhere, too. JUst plan on being int he area and you can decide where to see the fireworks.

10. Re: Portsmouth for July 4th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 13:16