We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tennis courts, Sandy Beach?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
20 posts
Tennis courts, Sandy Beach?

I am staying at the Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central next Thurs-Sun. Are there public tennis courts near by? Private ones? Where can I go to enjoy a sandy ocean beach?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Tennis courts, Sandy Beach?

There aren't any sandy ocean beaches in Portsmouth proper.

There is a sandy beach at Great Common Island in New Castle, the next town (south) to Portsmouth. It's a state park on the mouth of the Piscataqua River. Lovely place.

If that doesn't suit, you could continue south on Rte 1A for a bit and stop at the (free) beach in Rye. You'll see all sorts of cars parked at the side of the road, with wood ramps up the breakwater. This is the beach I usually go to. The only down sides are there aren't any rest facilities, and there isn't much beach when the tide is high. So consult a tide table before you visit this one.

Alternatively, you could easily visit any of the southern Maine beaches in Ogunquit or York.

2. Re: Tennis courts, Sandy Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 12:16