We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Weekend

Hollywood, Fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day Weekend

Tapping into all you CapeMay residents and retuned visitors

Takeout- Need recommendation for good take out pizza and good Italian food

Dine in- Breakfast. We plan on Uncle Bill. What abou 501beach at the Marquis? Any other recommendation?

Dine in- Lunch. Recommendation?

Dine in Dinner- recommendation , preferably non seafood. Or if seafood, they must have good steak or chicken on the menu as well.

Also, what winery do you recommend for wine tasting?

Thank you all

10 replies to this topic
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Weekend

I'm gonna suggest something else. I suggest to try visiting the Cape May Brewing https://www.capemaybrewery.com/ I had tasted my DH's Mop Water https://www.capemaybrewery.com/beers/ a few years back in AC at WingCraft and we went due to that 1 beer and we found we now also like their cranberry bog beer and watermelon beer ~ I totally expected their watermelon beer to taste like a Jolly Rancher and was instead pleasantly surprised as it actually tasted like a watermelon & the cranberry bog did also have what can be considered 'bog' flavors besides the cran. I cannot guarantee these flavors will be available as the bartender was explaining to us that they'd had a lot run out and the choices the day before and that day there weren't as much as the previous day. I suggest to go for a flight to taste 4 beers instead of a pint. They do not serve food due to some NJ laws. I was told it can be BYOF [bring your own food] not that we saw any carryout nearby. If y'all do BYOF, bring an extra sandwich for the bartender.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Weekend

I am the worst at recommending dining options-especially non-seafood based.

Are you looking for casual dining or more formal?

Two good casual places: Lucky Bones, right at the entrance to Cape May across from Lobster House. And 5 West Pub in North Cape May, about a 15 minute ride (with traffic!) from the Beach in Cape May. Well worth the very short trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Weekend

Pizza options in Cape May leave are somewhat marginal. Best option in my opinion is in the Boiler Room at Congress Hall...not sure if there is a take out option??

Sapore is the best Italian option.

For breakfast the OceanView diner is a solid choice, as is Dock Mike's in West Cape May( a short walk).

My favorite dinner options are the Merion Inn and Washington Inn.

For lunch I like Tisha's and Freda's Cafe.

One other tip....try the happy hour at the Mad Batter. Lots of folks also go there for breakfast and it draws a big crowd.

Level Contributor
200 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day Weekend

When we are in Cape May here are the places we dine:

For take out pizza or eat at restaurant, Panico's

For fine dining, The Washington Inn, Union Park, Blue Rose Inn.

For Italian, That,s Amore

Breakfast and Lunch, The Mad Batter.

We also like the Inn at CapeMay for lunch and drinks on the porch. Enjoy your time it's a beautiful place!!!!

Hollywood, Fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day Weekend

Thank yiou all for the awesome recommendations.

We've got reservations at Lobster House and Sapore Italiano! We plan on checking out Mad Batter.

We heard about a pizza place called Marios. Any r commendation on them?

@rship1 my other half likes the brewery recommendation. We shall see :-)

Still all ears for winery and wine tasting. Currently doing some research.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day Weekend

I don't think you can beat the view at McGlades for either breakfast or lunch.

How did you manage to get a reservation at the Lobster House? They don't take reservations.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor Day Weekend

I didn't know the Lobster House took ressies.... I suggest to try some carryout for room snacks. Their shrimp is outstanding. We split a clambake & half a dozen oysters at the liquor bar from the Raw Bar for a nice lunch for 2. And it's likely gonna rain Sunday. Bartender advice from the Cape May Brewing: Do not go there on a rainy day. I'd asked him about business on rainy days as it was beautiful & they had good business before noon and that↑ was↑ the advice he gave. He said that last Labor Day when the remnants of TS Hermine were affecting the Jersey Shore was the busiest he's ever seen. And some other past rainy dates were busy as well

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Labor Day Weekend

Turdo Vineyards & Winery

Cape May Winery & Vineyard

Willow Creek Winery

I don't visit wine tasting places, but here are a few that are close. I live a few blocks from Cape May Winery and have never been in the place. For very good food, consider Tisha's in the Washington Mall or their sister restaurant 5 West Pub in Lower Township. You would be very close to Cape May Winery and Turdo Vineyards and Winery. Willow Creek Winery is in West Cape May, so it is the closest of the three. Have a great trip. Hope the weather isn't as bad as predicted.

Hollywood, Fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Labor Day Weekend

We will have to check out what we weren't able to do on this visit.

@traveler059 re Lobster House and reservations. You are correct about the reservation. However, a member of my party call ahead since we had an elderly person In the group. They took the name and when we got there, instead of waiting as long as someone who had just walked in, we got an earlier call.

Hollywood, Fl
Level Contributor
70 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Labor Day Weekend

@tTonyNortCapeMay. We drove into Cape May Winery property , didn't go inside but it looked lovely. We plan to be back and check it out. Weather was fantastc. However, can't say the same about it in Atlantic Ciy on that Saturday .

Edited: 12 September 2017, 09:35
Reply to: Labor Day Weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted