We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or ?? to New York City

Freeport, Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Train or ?? to New York City

Will be staying in NJ (Somerset area) in December. Have a free Saturday, so want to pop over to NYC for the day to see the sights. Have a car, but would prefer to not drive all the way into NYC, to avoid traffic and parking headaches.

Is there a train that will quickly take us into NYC? We'd like to get off close to Rockefeller Center, and then do our walking tour from there.

We can leave from the Somerset area, or we can drive up to Elizabeth or anywhere in between and leave our car. Where would we go to catch a train? Keep in mind this will be on a Saturday morning. We'll also need to take the train back in the evening, and then get in our car and drive back to our hotel in Somerset.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or ?? to New York City

Elizabeth makes no sense from the Sommerset area. My advice would be to look into New Brunswick however parking there can be a bit of a hassle as well. There is also plety to see in New Jersey as well. Here are a few links

www.njtransit.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28951-i77-k296347…

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.myartmymillville.com

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or ?? to New York City

If you are where I think you are when you say Somerset, I would drive to the Edison train station and park there. Parking is free on Saturdays.

Another possibility is Metropark (parking is $5) exit 131B on Garden State Parkway.

Edited: 26 November 2010, 06:49
Freeport, Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or ?? to New York City

Thank you, broadwaynyc. Edison to Penn Station in less than an hour, and free parking! Sounds like a good plan.

4. Re: Train or ?? to New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 12:17