We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in New England

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in New England

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I fly into Boston on June 29th and we have 8 nights to spend in Boston and the surrounds. I'm really keen to experience New England generally but want to be in Boston for July 4th and would look to remain based there until we leave (a trip to Salem and Harvard included).

My initial thoughts are that I want us to get into Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, hike Mt Washington, drive through some covered bridges, and eat lobster someone on the Maine coast. We'll be hiring a car so travel is easy.

We're both keen on the outdoors (although I'm much more into hiking/mountains than my girlfriend), food, historical towns and wildlife.

Suggested itineraries/overnight stays more than welcome. Likewise feedback on how achievable my vague list above is.

Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
1 reply
Boston...
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in New England

So if I am reading you correctly, you want to be in the Boston area over the 4th July until you leave. That means you can spend 4 days, ie the 30th, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, touring the Whites and the Greens. Its pretty doable but you won't get more tham 1 night in any 1 place if you want to see it all. Or you can just do Acadia in ME [ lobster ] for 2 days, and the Mt Washington area including hikes 2 days. VT would be something for another trip then.

For the 2nd half of your stay you could do day trips out of Boston. Bear in mind that driving in Boston is a real pain,but fortunately there are other forms of public transport that can get you around.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Reply to: 8 days in New England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted