We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asked to leave the hotel after writing my TripAdvisor review

Roselle, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Asked to leave the hotel after writing my TripAdvisor review

We stayed at a hotel for about 2 months without any major issues (except what is noted in the review, i.e. room issues, applying hotel points issues, etc). All that had been worked out and then I posted how I felt about it online, here, on this site. The next day, the manager got into an argument with me and insisted the hotel wasn't "a good fit" for me and I should be happy (she insisted she wanted me to be happy). So, at around 7pm on a cold Thursday evening in NJ, my wife and I with our 4 month old, young daughter and special needs son were asked to leave - within 3 hours. I pushed back and had the manager move it to 5 hours (11pm). My wife and I were shocked that a review could cause this and more important, she has the confidence to do this to a family for a BS reason and get away with it (i.e. calls to the parent company, IHG, were largely a waste of time). Has anyone here heard of someone getting evicted from a hotel for writing a not so glowing review?

Edited: 28 March 2017, 10:04
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asked to leave the hotel after writing my TripAdvisor review

I would also respost on thr support forum. Also report to abuse@tripadvisor.com. I know in New Jersey after a certian amount of time you are considered a resident of the hotel and not subject to hotel tax. Weather thats the case regarding eviction as well Im not sure. I would contact a lawyer on Monday

Edited: 26 March 2017, 14:47
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Get answers to your questions about Somerset