We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Topic
August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Assalam o Alekum everyone.

I am planning a trip with my family (husband, wife and 3 kids (ages 10, 7 and 3)). Our travel date start from 1 August for max 9-10 days. We will start our trip from Islamabad airport and will hire a driver with Corolla who will return us back at the end of the tour to Islamabad airport. My tentative plan is as follows based on limited research and google maps :-):

Day 1 Islamabad to Neelum Valley (drive time: 7.5 hours)

Day 2 Neelum Valley stay and sightseeing

Day 3 Neelum Valley to Naran (drive time: 7.5 hours)

Day 4 Naran/Saiful Mulok and sightseeing

Day 5 Naran to Skardu (drive time: 7.5 hours)

Day 6 Skardu stay and sightseeing

Day 7 Skardu to Hunza (drive time: 5.5 hours)

Day 8 Hunza stay and sightseeing

Day 9 Hunza to Chilas (drive time: 4.5 hours)

Day 10 Chilas to Islamabad

1. Is the above doable with three kids. Or is it too adventurous?

2. Please suggest any changes in the above plan, e.g. if you think we should go to Hunza first and then Skardu, etc, etc. I am not too keen on Chillas but only including it in our plan to break the long return journey to Islamabad. My Wife really wants to see Neelum valley and hence cannot ignore it. Please suggest alternatives to the above plan as per your experience and the season.

3. What will be the average cost of driver with a Corolla without petrol per day? How much will be average cost of Petrol per day? what will be the average Hotel Cost for our family per day (we want average to good hotels)?

4. Are the roads for the above trip safe? i am not going to Fairy Meadows as i have heard that the road is very dangerous. Are any of the above routes that i will take dangerous?

JazakAllah for all your help.

Salman

9 replies to this topic
Islamabad Capital...
Level Contributor
876 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Day 5 Naran to Skardu (drive time: 7.5 hours)

11 to 13 hr drive total Naran to Skardu .

Day 7 Skardu to Hunza (drive time: 5.5 hours)

9/10 hrs drive

Skip Skardu rest would be fine, because it's only driving, that'd be boring for kids, go to Hunza and relax there.

A car may cost you 5/6 k without fuel, Islamabad to Hunza fuel consumption could be around 6 to 8 k one way.

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Thanks ImranSchah. Yours was a reply i was really looking forward to given your experience and knowledge.

If given an option what would be a better choice, Neeum Valley or Skardu? From a nature and beaty point of view what is a better choice? If we remove Neelum Valley and include Skardu, would the plan be ok? Or still too much for kids?

JazakAllah.

Salman.

Islamabad Capital...
Level Contributor
876 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Dear Salman,

If you start from Islamabad, Neelum valley would be on the way, from Murree to Muzafarabad and then Neelum valley but that'd need at least 2/3 days to explore, then through Naran you could proceed to Hunza and then back.

Or skip Kashmir, take the Naran route, go inside Astor valley, cross Deosai plains, visit Skardu, take the detour to Hunza and then back, both options are feasible.

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Thanks Imran sahab. If you had to pick which route you will pick knowing these areas?

Lets also see what other experts suggest.

Thanks

Salman.

Islamabad Capital...
Level Contributor
876 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

For Skardu, better to go through Astor valley and Deosai plains and then from Skardu to Hunza and back to Naran and Islamabad.

For Kashmir, Islamabad to Murree, then to Muzaffarabad, Neelum valley, Garhi Habibullah, Naran, Hunza.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

You have 3 trips

Kashmir, Skardu, Hunza

I think go, go, go you will starts travel sickness.

Kaghan, Gilgit, Hunza, Khunjerab top in 1 route.

So complete that route. So many places to see.

In kaghan there is shogran , seri, Pai, lake, Naran, jalkhat, babusar

It will take 4-5 days if Wana enjoy.

Than Hunza, sost, Khunjerab top

3-4 days

So enough.

I have time than in return from balakot turn car to muzaffarabad for Kashmir but if no time or feel sickness than back Islamabad

Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Wasalam Salman,

You're wasting a lot of time on this.

Neelum Valley is off-route. Naran-Skardu standard route is 15 hours and Deosai route is 18 hours. Naran-Skardu (standard route)-Hunza is drive drive drive. Hunza-Chilas isn't preferred.

Day 1: Islamabad - Naran (leave before sunrise so that you have a full day in Naran to enjoy rides and streams. Stopover is Balakot for breakfast and Kaghan area sightseeing.

Day 2: Naran (leave at 6) - Rama PTDC. Stopovers at Lulusar Lake, Babusar Top, Chilas Shangrila (lunch), Astore (supplies) and then Rama.

Day 3: Rama (leave at 5) to Skardu via Deosai

Day 4: Skardu sightseeing (the usual upper Kachura, fort, shopping, rest etc)

Day 5: Skardu to Hunza - no sights here

Day 6: Hunza sightseeing

Day 7: Hunza to Naran

Day 8: Saifulmalook

Day 9: Naran - Islamabad.

You can now adjust a day in between. The only drive over 7.5 hours is Rama-Skardu via Deosai but it's worth it. I've kept Naran at the end because usually I know it can be skipped or replaced and also because you can do Khunjerab Pass on Day 7 instead or spend a day extra somewhere else. Neelum Valley is a different type of exploration altogether. If you skip Skardu and go straight to Hunza from Naran then you get 2 days more.

1. Not adventurous, perfectly doable.

2. As above.

3. Imran's prices are right. Hotel will be 4-5k per day.

4. No road in this world is safe so please drive safe. Ask your driver not to be too adventurous. Usually they just want to get to their destination and so drive recklessly. A tip at the end of Day 1 always does the magic. Fairy Meadows is a full jeep ride / track / hike etc. That's 2 days extra and not doable with a 3 year old. Skip it.

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

You have 3 trips

Kashmir, Skardu, Hunza

I think go, go, go you will starts travel sickness.

Kaghan, Gilgit, Hunza, Khunjerab top in 1 route.

So complete that route. So many places to see.

In kaghan there is shogran , seri, Pai, lake, Naran, jalkhat, babusar

It will take 4-5 days if Wana enjoy.

Than Hunza, sost, Khunjerab top

3-4 days

So enough.

I have time than in return from balakot turn car to muzaffarabad for Kashmir but if no time or feel sickness than back Islamabad

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

Reply to: August 2018 Trip (Naran, Hunza, Skardu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted