We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,348 posts
61 reviews
Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

We are driving down from Santa Fe, stopping at Bosque del Apache, staying in Socorro on Dec 22. Then to Las Cruces for Dec 23, 24, 25 staying at Drury Inn (free breakfast and early dinner), leaving for Silver City Dec 26 & 27, back to SF on Dec 28.

I have dining options for Dec 23 & 24th at La Posta (family tradition back to 1950's), St Clair Winery, Andale, Double Eagle/Peppers. Any other ideas?

Planning on visiting the Mesilla area on 23rd and then again the night of the 24th for farolitos (or luminarias). Daytime on Dec 24, considering some of the nearby state parks, for photography or is there a good museum to see this day? Any fun/unique shops to visit for gifts anywhere in the area?

Dinner will be at Double Eagle/Peppers on Christmas Eve, I'm assuming reservations are a necessity!?.

Now, what can we do on Christmas Day? We are planning on visiting Dripping Springs, Organ Mountains NM for some photography, weather permitting of course. Any hiking/walking along the Rio Grande, maybe some birding? If weather is ugly, we will take in a movie, lol!! Never done that before on Christmas.

Restaurants open on Christmas Day seem to be bleak. The buffet at Double Eagle is too expensive for us. Where can we get some yummy take out on Christmas Eve to keep in our fridge at the hotel to dine on in the hotel on Christmas day? Maybe Italian, Pizza, Mexican?

Monday Dec 26th, heading out to Deming for the morning (business), is Adobe Deli open or should we try Irma's for lunch. Rock Hound State Park or City of Rocks State Park closer to Silver City??? Lots of driving this day.

We are staying at The Murray Hotel in Silver City, I've got the following restaurants on my list: Little Toad Creek Brewery, Vicki's, Diane's, Mi Casita, Buckhorn in Pinos Altos. Any others for breakfast, lunch or dinner? We hope the weather will cooperate so we can get to Gila Cliff Dwellings. Finally any shops/galleries that may be open during this post Christmas week.

I would like to see some Mimbres pottery, would the Silver City Museum and/or the WNMU Museum be open the week after Christmas?

Thanks for any help, this is a first for me, I have never traveled over the Christmas holiday, but this year we are for various reasons both business and personal. Dates can't be changed and we know that weather can impact our trip.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
135 reviews
1. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

We enjoyed the Farm and Ranch Heritage Center in Las Cruces. Really nice displays, and it is a family friendly place.

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
223 reviews
2. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

Dripping Springs is a nice little hike with some photo opportunities, and if you're dedicated hikers, Baylor Pass trail, a few miles north of Dripping Springs, is another way into the Organ Mountains that's a bit longer, wilder and less traveled. It goes well as a through-hike if you have another car available; go over Baylor Pass and down the other side to where you (hopefully) have left the second car. See summitpost.org/baylor-pass-trailhead/306778 for details on how to do it as a through hike. (For an out-and-back, just turn around at the pass.) Note that this trailhead is outside the state park, so it won't be closed on Christmas day.

If you've ever been to Chiricahua National Monument, City of Rocks State Park seems rather tame. If you haven't, though, consider it. Rock Hound is not as scenic but does allow you to find "pretty rocks" and take them home. A matter of taste to choose between the two; we enjoy both.

No useful advice on food or lodging, as we haven't been to LC or Silver at Christmas time either. Let us know what you find out!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

We really liked Santorini Restaurant on University. Not fancy but the kufta was wonderful and we want to go back to try the more spicy Greek kufta.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,348 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

Thanks folks! We are not big hikers anymore, knees are shot! Looking for walking and seeing! Keep the ideas coming!!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

I think you may want to skip the Adobe Deli. The trouble is that it's a good half-hour drive from Deming, in the middle of nowhere, and out of your way when you're heading to Silver.

One place I like for an inexpensive light lunch in Deming is Tacos Mirasol. It's a tiny building and is scrupulously clean; you order at the counter, and they have what are now being called "street" tacos-- about 5 or 6 different varieties. They also have a few tortas and platters available, and they make their own limonada and horchata. Yum!

One problem I have at Rockhound is that, while you are allowed to take up to 15 lbs. of rocks per person, you really have to know your stuff; to me, the rocks all looked pretty much the same.

City of Rocks is some place I always take visitors to. It's actually perfect for folks who can't hike for long periods; other than the rocks themselves, pretty much everything else in the park is flat or accessible by car. There's even a ring road that circles the place, so you don't even have to get out of your car if you don't want to...but everybody likes to walk around, among, in between, on top of, and through the rocks.

BTW: I don't know if this interests you or not, but Faywood Hot Springs, one of the more comfortable and better maintained outdoor springs, is literally right next door to City of Rocks. It's not Ten Thousand Waves, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper. They have public pools that you can use with a day pass (some are clothing-optional) as well as private pools that you pay for by the hour.

The situation at the WNMU Museum is complex for a couple of reasons: 1) the campus itself will probably be more-or-less closed for the holidays, and 2) the Museum is undergoing renovations. It's my understanding that a portion of the Museum's collection of Mimbres pottery and artifacts is temporarily on display in the Silver City Museum: I will inquire with my on-campus contacts to get more info on times, dates, etc.

Feel free to follow up with a PM if there's anything else you need!

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

For lunch sometime, try Josefina's in Mesilla. Across street to the Ast from San Albino Basilica. Always enjoyed eating there when we lived in LC.

7. Re: Visiting over Christmas, need some ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Las Cruces