We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red River or Angle Fire

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Red River or Angle Fire

We are a beginner family from Dallas, TX, will drive to either Red River or Angel Fire ski resort. Kids are 11,11 and 13. (2 kids are in 5th grade so free lift tickets at Angle Fire)

What do you recommend for a first-time, family friendly ski / snowboard trip ?

Also to add to the decision we have Hilton points that can be used in Toas (only Hilton around), but Best Western in Red River is inexpensive, not sure about Angle Fire as far a inexpensive and close to slopes lodging??

Would love nice long wide not icy slopes & convenience to get to slopes as I will be hauling 3 kids skis - or a locker availability to store skis.

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions-

2 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red River or Angle Fire

Angel Fire and Red River are both great choices, but I recommend staying in either of those towns rather than Taos if you're skiing with family and driving to the resort. Taos is worth a visit and you should check out Taos Pueblo with the kids, and the Taos Gorge & earthships while you're there. Red River (I learned to ski here 40 years ago, as did my kids and now my grandchildren this spring break): the town is very walkable and easy to learn. There are a several lodging options close to the lifts, and enough restaurants to service tourism. This a very good beginner ski resort, with lots of greens. Angel Fire (we skied when kids were young): Also a family-friendly, laid-back community. The Angel Fire Resort is at the base of the lifts and is very convenient lodging. We've also rented condos there and everything is fairly close. There are beautiful homes for rent as well, if you don't mind driving to the ski area. I don't recall as many restaurants in Angel Fire (it's been a few years since I have been). My preference for first timers is Red River, the kids just seem to have more to do in town, but you should add both to your future trips. Have fun.

Save Reply
2. Re: Red River or Angle Fire

we have stayed in angel fire but end up driving to red river - walkable - hubby likes the classes at red river better and more to do and folks super friendly

Reply to: Red River or Angle Fire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Red River