We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

1 post
Save Topic
Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

What is the best time to come for a 4 night trip? ...for beginners!

What's the easiest (less expensive) airport to travel too? we are coming from Houston, TX. We'll rent a car and drive.

angel fire nm
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

Fly into Albuquerque and drive to Red River. I would check out rentals on www.vrbo.com and see who is offering any deals. I am from Angel Fire and I am offering $499 for 4 nights. So if you shop around I know you will get a good deal. I also hear Angel Fire is a better place to ski for beginners.

Hope this info. helps. www.angelfirenmcondos.com

Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

Anytime in January it's not very crowded. We've skied both Red River and Angel Fire and I'd say both are good for beginners. We took lessons at Red River and really loved the instructors. Can't speak for Angel Fire because we skied there when we didn't need lessons anymore. Red River has a great beginner ski lift and short slope that's perfect for getting comfortable. They have a lot of easy greens at the top too so there's plenty for beginners to ski on there. We're from Houston too but we actually drive there each year...it's not too bad if you break it up! Hope you have a great time!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

We've been to Red River for the last several years in January (MLK weekend). We are from DFW area. We leave early afternoonish and drive all the way, arriving around midnight. 6 hours to Amarillo, 4-5 to Red River. I have heard Albequerque is closest when flying in. We stayed at the Best Western - small room, but nice. Walking distance to slopes if you aren't wearing all the ski gear (we ended up driving after first day, with high altitude etc.) 2nd time we stayed at Black Mountain Playhouse, right in front of slopes. Terrible rooms, falling apart - but close to slopes. This year we're trying Arrowhead lodge - it looked close and has to be nicer than Black Mountain! I found renting skis across main street at a little shop (can't remember the name) was cheaper than main ski lodge rentals. Some places have kids stay free and ski free if you have kids under 10 ask your lodge if they participate. Unfortunately, it's just sort of an expensive vacation no matter what you do. OHHHH - Take food to eat in your room. There are restaurants, but when the slopes close, Everyone goes out to eat and the wait is forever. Most rooms have microwaves at the least, some have kitchens. We take soups, frito pie, oatmeal, cereal/bars, etc. . . It saves a little on eating out and it is a lot faster - then you can relax and wait to go ski the next day instead of standing in line for an hour to wait to get to eat. Plus, we weren't overly impressed with the food at any restaurant for the cost. We love Red River because of the "Bunny Slope" - our kids can go over and over without us worrying they are going to bash into a tree or something - just right for beginners!!!!! We went to Santa Fe 10 years ago and prefer Red River until all the kids are stronger skiers.

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

We stay at the Copper King Lodge when we go to Red River. As a matter of fact, we are staying there in January. They have several different types of rooms to choose from. They have typical motel units on up to 3 bedroom condo units with furnished kitchens. They are located over by the Copper chair lift. There is never a line at the lift. We LOVE it over there. They do participate in all of the January and February specials. For instance, if you check in on a Sunday or a Monday, and pay for three days and nights, you get the fourth day and night free. That includes lodging, lift tickets, and rentals. There are several places that participate in those specials. Riverside Lodge is another really nice place to stay. They are located right beside Copper King. However, I don't think they participate in the specials. Good Luck.

5. Re: Want to book a trip in Jan or Feb to Red River, NM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Red River
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor