We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early check-out times

Albuquerque
3 posts
1 review
early check-out times

Most places in Red River have a check-out time of 10:00 am. We are making a weekend-trip there so my husband and kids can ski, but I don't ski. Where can I hang-out after 10:00 on a Sunday while waiting for my family to ski the rest of the day?

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: early check-out times

If you don't mind driving by yourself, check out the Enchanted Circle drive. It can be done in a few hours if you include some stops along the way such as the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial outside Angel Fire or Taos Plaza. The route literally circles back around to Red River where you can meet your family before heading back home.

An amazing, lesser known spot to do some birding or communing with nature is just outside Questa (a short drive west of Red River). It's the Wild Rivers Recreation Area where the New Mexico Red River and the Rio Grande confluence about 1000 feet below the rim of two gorges coming together. It's run by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and was renovated and updated a few years ago, so it's in great shape. You could drive over, have a quiet picnic lunch at one of the picnic sites, visit their visitor's center, hike a trail along the rim, or down one of the trails to the rivers below. On a sunny day, it's simply spectacular and the trails are well maintained and in great shape.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: early check-out times

I would concur with TaosBandBLover on the beauty of Wild Rivers RA.

It is one of our favorite quicky getaway spots and while any of the hikes from the rim down to the Rio Grande are pretty strenuous, it affords a gorgeous chance to see the canyon in relative solitude and from multiple perspectives not available just sitting up on the rim.

3. Re: early check-out times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 13:21
Get answers to your questions about Red River