We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing.

Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Skiing.

Hello, all! My 8 year old wants to do some sort of skiing or sledding while in Red River. Neither I nor my husband could do it with her. Is there a children's area of some sort where she can do this but we can walk next to her?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing.

The Red River Ski Area has always been a "family friendly" place. There are beginner slopes with professional instruction, plus snow-play areas with small slopes for sledding. You may find more detailed information at:

www.redriverskiarea.com

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing.

While we haven't skied in Red River, everywhere we have there's been a special ski school just for kids. Can be 1/2 day or full day. Package usually includes lessons, equipment rental and lift ticket. I've even seen them where they include supervised lunch and becomes a bit of a child care, too, while parents are off. We never went that far and met up for a lunch break. More and more we hang out in the lodge or a sunny deck while the kids ski, bring our own snacks, stake out a table (easy to do with all the family's clothes and stuff), and bring a good book, which we may or may not read. Often could view beginning of lesson--the basics. Checked out NM Photo's link and indeed there is children's ski and snowboarding program at Red River. 8 year old would be great age to start. Red River is nice. I recall slopes being right on edge of main street. With luck, a group lesson could end up being a private lesson. That's what happened with one of mine. Took her 2 1/2-day sessions and then she was ready to take me down the "black diamonds." Kind of a joke. Kids have a low certain of gravity and with light weight don't pick up as much speed, so once they get a couple of easy techniques and learn to get on and off the chairlifts, they're a marvel. Be sure to bring lip balm, sunscreen, water and some energy snacks. Forgetting what kind of tinted goggles we have, bib overalls work good (avoid jeans or anything that soaks up moisture), cap of course, snow gloves, good/thin socks, a jacket.... You can find all of these for kids for pretty cheap. Probably even Walmart. Have fun.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing.

I'd have her take lessons as well. Ski schools are great with kids and they will have fun learning with other kids. Also near Red River is Enchanted Forest a cross country and snowshoeing area. Fun for everyone.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing.

Red River is a pretty little town where the ski lifts are right in town. You can pretty much plan on parking your car and walking everywhere.

There is a special school and "club" for kids. Here's the link to their website with lots more information:

redriverskiarea.com/youth-ski-and-ride-club

We hope you have fun!

5. Re: Skiing.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Red River