We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remote/private spot for family?

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
55 reviews
Remote/private spot for family?

My family of 4 (2 girls, 9 and 12) are considering Sabi Sand based on some of the reviews. My wife likes to be away from crowds. (Don't we all.)

Which camps, lodges would you consider the most private? Luxury is not necessary, but is always nice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

Londolozi would be a good choice. With a child under 12, they would probably ask that you have a car just for your family. It's a great Sabi Sand lodge.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
196 reviews
2. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

We have taken advice and will be staying at Londolozi Varty next year, with our then 10yo and 8yo. They offer interconnecting rooms and are renowned for being welcoming to families.

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
3. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

We've just come back from 2 weeks all over the Kruger and found SAN parks Punda Maria the most remote. We travelled with our 4 kids (13 to 8) and got a fab 6 bed cottage (one of only 8 I think) and had a fab time

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

With younger children, I also would highly recommend Londolozi. You will have a wonderful experience there.

Mike

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
659 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

Weather in early august? Will kids be miserably cold? thanks,

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
196 reviews
6. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

It will be cold before the sun rises and after it sets, but it is the wind chill factor in the open vehicles which lends itself to plenty of layers as well as coats, hats, and even scarves and gloves wouldn't be out of place. Most lodges provide blankets.

However, once the sun comes up, the layers start coming off quite quickly. In winter in SA, I always feel there is a distinct difference between sun temperatures and shade temperatures.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

The temps at that time of year in Kruger should range from the low 50sF, which I don't consider 'cold' in itself, to about 80F. As mentioned above, you will likely be cold, if not properly dressed, during the very early am and late pm game drives in an open and moving vehicle. It's important to dress in layers, which can be removed or added to as the temps require. But you should be very comfortable the large majority of the time.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
659 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

Skarves? Hadn't thought of those! Thanks for info!

Takoma Park...
Level Contributor
165 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

Yes, we just came back a few weeks ago after staying with Tydon. Please bring warm clothes. We had several long drives (2-3 hours) in the dark in a moving vehicle with no cover. It get's extremely cold. We wish we had brought hats, gloves and scarves and long underwear to go with our fleece jackets.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
659 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Remote/private spot for family?

thanks! will do--hope you had fun !