We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help picking a londolozi lodge

2 posts
Help picking a londolozi lodge

Hi all,

my fiance and I are going on our honeymoon next may. We are definitely going to londolozi, but are having trouble figuring out if we should splurge on one of the three more expensive lodges (tree, granite, pioneers). Any insight on the value of these lodges vs. varty would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

The only reason why I would is if you don’t want to have young kids around at Tree or Granite. Otherwise you’ll get the same game viewing and over the top service at all of them.

(I’d actually stay at Mala Mala Rattrays - for arguably the best game viewing, only 4 guests per vehicle, crazy nice accommodations and service. Plus it’s partly community owned, a huge plus for the wildlife, the local people and the lodge).

United States
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

Londolozi sets a very high bar for the rest of the lodges in the area. It's a hard choice but I think, as someone who goes there often, I'd splurge on Granite Suites. Honestly though, you can not go wrong with any of their camps.

I've been to all 5 and I have stayed at 3 out of the 5, so far. To me, it's hard to compare them since each one is unique and does special things for their guests, all geared towards the individual guests themselves. As far as rooms and privacy: Varty (except for the 2 suites) has the smallest rooms but they were all renovated a few months ago. Varty is also the heart of Londolozi and everyone can come here to congregate, shop, go to the spa, use the gym, etc.. Pioneer and Tree Camp's rooms are more like small houses, with huge decks and bathrooms, separate living room areas etc... Granite is the top of the line with the best and most exclusive views of the river. It also has the most intimate setting. These 3 camps will definitely offer more intimacy and more perks. However, all of the camps (except Founders) have their own communal pool and main deck. All rooms have plunge pools and mini bars. They limit vehicles to 6 pax, but I often have had just my husband and me or 1 other couple. I have met honeymoon couples staying at all of their camps and I have yet to hear anyone complain about any of the camps. Congratulations and good luck deciding!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

You can't really compare these 3 lodges to Varty, as they are so different and cater for different clientele. Varty being the busier lodge suitable for families or small groups. Between Tree, Pioneer and Granite, my choice would be the very exclusive Granite.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

2 posts
4. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

Thanks all. @AFRICADIRECT we don't mind spending time with other people and are going to the seychelles after our safari for some luxury. Therefore our mindset is that if we can be happy in varty we should do that since it could save us over $3000. Do you agree with that or do you still think a couple will be happier in a different camp?

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

For a similar savings but still staying at Londolozi, I would choose Founders over Varty but you didn't ask about Founders.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

I agree - Founders is slightly more expensive than Varty, but worth it.

However, if budget is a main factor, then go with Varty. Smaller accommodations, yes.

Animals are just as numerous and exciting, though - as they are at (for example) Granite.

Berkhamsted, United...
1 post
2 reviews
7. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

Hi, we love Founders Camp but all the camps at Londolozi are amazing so you can’t go wrong. We like the location/ size of the rooms, and plunge pols on the decks. I hope you love it as much as we do. Already planning our trip for next year.

san francisco
Level Contributor
802 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

Starting at only $1,000 USD per person per night. Lucky you!

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

Going to the Seychelles after for a bit of luxury!!! I think you might be a bit tired of OTT lux at Londolozi instead, maybe go to the Seychelles for that safari! LOL

2 posts
10. Re: Help picking a londolozi lodge

Granite 2 is my favourite Londolozi suite! Awesome rock pool!,

Reply to: Help picking a londolozi lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Londolozi Private Game...