We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chautauqua - suggestions?

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chautauqua - suggestions?

Suggestions?.....I am trying to come up with ideas for a last-minute mini-vacation for our family of four (incl 2 boys 12 and 10). I need to squeeze it in between other summer activities here in NE Ohio: would start Sat 7/26 and return home Tues 7/29. Chautauqua seems like a logical choice: it is a short drive away (2+ hours) and it seems like there is a lot to see and do. In fact, having virtually no knowledge of Chautauqua, and little time, I am a little overwhelmed trying to put together an itinerary in short order, so I am looking for suggestions. First question - is it too crowded this time of year? Lodging - we are generally more "hotel-people" than cottage or cabin, but open to trying something different. Interested in: a concert (orchestra-type) or play, some water sports (kids - swimming, tubing or possibly water skiing). tour a local attraction or two, hiking, interesting shops and restauarants. Basically we'd like to make it fun for the kids and learn and experience some new things. Any suggestions appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Chautauqua
Chautauqua
Chautauqua County, NY
In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chautauqua - suggestions?

There are many things to do for your faminly in our area. The crowds are not to bad, depending on what you are doing. I have not seen any long lines for restaurants or unreasonable traffic.

For lodging, a new hotel just opened a year or so ago, and they offer many packages to choose from or none at all depending on your intrests. www.chautauquasuites.com. I have heard nothing but good things about the place.

As for concerts, plays, etc. you can check the Chautauqa Institutions web site at www.chautauqua-inst.org

For water sports, we have the lake. Mayville has a nice town park with a beach, and many marinias offer boat rentals, kyaking and canoes.

Also on the lake we have the Chautauqua Belle an old steamship that offers rides on the lake. Aslso the Summer Wind, a newer ship that offers lunch and dinner crusies.

Panama Rocks are close by (15min.)a place my two boys enjoyed very much. www.panamarocks.com

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

Mentioned in this post
Chautauqua
Chautauqua
Chautauqua County, NY
new york
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chautauqua - suggestions?

From June through August, Chautauqua (and the surrounding area) goes crazy with activities. There's so much to see and do. See www.allwny.com or www.tourchautauqua.com, or chautauquamagazine.com, for all kinds of info, or click on nearly any business-owned website. They usually have events listed - especially the real estate ones. September and October brings people from all over to see the harvest festivals and the changing leaves. In the winter, snowmobiles are everywhere and skiing is a really big deal around here. Again, check websites to see what is going on.

Mentioned in this post
Chautauqua
Chautauqua
Chautauqua County, NY
new york
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chautauqua - suggestions?

From June through August, Chautauqua (and the surrounding area) goes crazy with activities. There's so much to see and do. See www.allwny.com or www.tourchautauqua.com or www.chautauquamagazine.com, for all kinds of info, or click on nearly any business-owned website. They usually have events listed - especially the real estate ones. September and October brings people from all over to see the harvest festivals and the changing leaves. In the winter, snowmobiles are everywhere and skiing is a really big deal around here. Again, check websites to see what is going on.

Mentioned in this post
Chautauqua
Chautauqua
Chautauqua County, NY
4. Re: Chautauqua - suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 19:24
Get answers to your questions about Chautauqua