We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hudson Valley trip

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hudson Valley trip

IN mid June I am going to go up the Hudson Valley to see the area.m Would like info on towns to visit, attractions and towns to stay in. I will be on am solo trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hudson Valley trip

"while Woodstock is a nice town to walk around in, it is in the Catskills not the Hudson Valley."

I don't know who told you that, but I grew up in that area and the Catskills are definitely considered part of the Hudson Valley.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hudson Valley trip

gotham - Really, so places like Margaretville, Livingston Manor, etc. are considered the Hudson Valley? Maybe Woodstock wants to put itself in the Hudson Valley for tourism purposes but geographically the Catskills and Hudson Valley are different regions according to a NYS map.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hudson Valley trip

I live in the Hudson Valley and myself and people I know generally differentiate between the Hudson Valley and the Catskills. The Hudson Valley and Catskills are also noted as different areas when you look at the maps on tourism websites.

Even when there was a Hudson Valley forum, it was not accessible in the drop down list. It would be useful to have the forum back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hudson Valley trip

The Catskills may be pulled out on maps but they are considered the Hudson Valley. The Hudson Valley follows the Hudson River from Albany all the way to Westchester. The Catskills begin in Ulster County and the Hudson River also flows through Ulster County, so the Catskills are a subset of The Hudson Valley.

Here is a listing of the towns that are considered Hudson Valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_to…

Also, the Mid Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union operates in Ulster County (among their branches are Woodstock, Kingston and Saugerties). So businesses do recognize they are in the Hudson Valley.

https://www.mhvfcu.com/locations#ulster

Edited: 10 May 2016, 03:56
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hudson Valley trip

Even if you think you are correct about Woodstock, the entire Catskills region is NOT in the Hudson Valley. The Catskills are a huge region and Woodstock is at the eastern edge of them. And the whole business thing isn't really a good argument - I live in the Southern Tier but their are businesses named "Finger Lakes ... " because they were started in the Finger Lakes and branched out to other regions such as the Southern Tier. It really is a moot point because both regions are well regarded parts of the state if for no other reason than their beauty. So being in the Catskills is not a bad thing IMO.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hudson Valley trip

My original point was that Woodstock was part of the Hudson Valley. But obviously you have to argue to the death. So---whatever.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hudson Valley trip

No arguing here ... no yelling at my laptop or typing in Caps (and I am still alive and kicking! :) ).

18. Re: Hudson Valley trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2018, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Hudson