We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

We will be staying at the Whiteface Lodge on the dates above. We would LOVE to have input on what to see/do while we are there. The hotel told us most things are open in the area, but we don't see much on the web. Hopefully, we just don't know where to look? All recommendations (dos and don'ts) are greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
The Whiteface Lodge
The Whiteface Lodge
1,235 Reviews
Lake Placid, NY
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

First, why are you coming to the Adirondacks? I guess something attracted you to this area, right? What? What are your interests? It is hard to give any suggestions without knowing more details. I can suggest hiking, for example, but maybe you are not a hiker? If you're what hikes do you prefer? Flat, easy, challenging, lots of elevation change, views? Are you going to have a car available? Who are "we?' Are you arriving in the evening on 5/31 and depart the morning of 6/4? Before arriving in Lake Placid are you visiting somewhere else? Vt? Montreal? One thing I can recommend at this point, don't eat all meals at the lodge. There are a couple of very nice places in the village. I always have great meals at the Interlaken Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

Thanks for your response. I will try to give more information.

It will be two adults and we are coming because we love mountains and lakes. We are flying in/out of Albany and will have a car. Physical activity is limited due to surgery, so hiking would be minimal on only easy trails - but we enjoy nature very much. We are open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to make our trip more enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Adirondacks, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

You picked a gorgeous time of year to come here. So, stuff to do that's not too physically challenging...

There are scenic tours that fly out of Lake Placid Airport - very cool way to see the area. Their site is http://www.flyanywhere.com. You can also drive to the top of Whiteface on the scenic highway, or you can take a gondola ride from the ski resort side. Spring has really sprung here, so make sure to get up high while you're here and enjoy some views.

Don't figure you'll want to do much hiking, depending on surgery, but you can walk around Mirror Lake - the Village of Lake Placid is on it's shore. It's about a mile around and pretty - mostly flat. There a more short day hikes, too...

If you enjoy more relaxing kinds of stuff, you can get a great massage at Placid Bodyworks - therapeutic massage rather than spa and they offer couples massage if that appeals. Also, there's a massage cruise in Saranac Lake (a quick 10 miles from LP) - starts at Lake Flower. Check out http://adkmassagecruise.wordpress.com

I'd recommend a couple more relaxed spots for casual food - Lisa G's is yummy, they're a little out of town on the far side of Placid, but worth the drive. Cafe Rustica is right across the highway from you in the Price Chopper Plaza (Yes, I know). Kevin the chef and owner will take good care of you.

If you'd like me to continue on this tangent, just let me know...:)

Mentioned in this post
Mirror Lake
Mirror Lake
768 Reviews
Lake Placid, NY
Lisa G's
Lisa G's
870 Reviews
Lake Placid, NY
Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

Thank you so much! This information really helps. Can you tell me about Ausable Chasm? Someone mentioned Quebec - is it worth the drive? We will have a car and don't mind driving to see the sights. We appreciate any ideas you may have. Thanks again for taking the time.

5. Re: Recommended to See/Do May 31 - June 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake Placid