We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi,

We are planning to travel on the 27th of December 2011 to Pemba, leaving from Moshi . Is there anyone who knows how to go to Pemba island either using a ferry/boat (if so, do you know the date+time) or taking a flight from Tanga ?

Do you know if coastal aviation will operate if only two people have booked for this flight, as there is no answer when calling their phone number?

Thanks for your help!

Seb

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,812 posts
445 reviews
1. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

If there is one booking Coastal will fly. There may well be folks at the other end to pick up so they need to position.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
2. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Coastal Aviation is flying to these Sectors by any number of passenger.Because is picking up passengers driving from Usambara,Arusha and Moshi on daily basis.

It takes only 25 minutes from Tanga to Pemba

The Flight from Tanga leave at 16h00 arrive Pemba at 16h25.Estimated Price is US$ 95 per person.

It seems that you are not using the correct code number but their all numbers are working:

CONTACTS;-

Head Office:

J.K. Nyerere International Airport Terminal One: Email: aviation@coastal.cc Web: www.coastal.cc

Arusha Airport Cell: +255 713 530730 (Walii) or +255 785 500 004 (Romeo)

Dar es Salaam City Sales Office Tel: +255 222 117959 or 117960 Fax: +255 222 118647

Cell: +255 78 SAFARIS (+255 787 232 747)

Dar es Salaam Airport Tel: +255 222 842700 or 842701 Cell: +255 713 325673

Fax: +255 222 843033 e-fax 1-646 619 4906

G.S.A Pemba Airport Cell: +255 777 418343 (Ali)

HOTLINE : +255 785 627 825

(075-COASTAL)

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the information and for all the contact numbers.

Indeed I havent been using any of these numbers.

Cheers

london
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Is there also the option of a reliable ferry from Wete (Pemba) to Tanga? Not sure if this service is running.

Many thanks,

Fiona

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi Fiona,

A ferry is supposed to run from Wete to Pemba. But dont know how reliable it is or the timings. I got some helpful information when I asked the accomodation provider in Pemba. May be you should try the same.

Good luck,

Seb

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Just make certain that it's not a dhow they are using for a ferry. It would be slow and unsafe. You would probably be better off take the coastal air flight, I think it's $100.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
7. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi Fiona,

There is a ferry once a week from Tanga to Wete. It leaves on Tuesday around 7.30 - 8am and takes 5 hours. As a tourist it will cost you around 35'000 Tsh.

We took the ferry in July this year from Tanga to Wete and the "first" class (where you will be directed being a tourist) is quite comfortable.

There's also once a week a ferry going from Wete to Tanga but I'm not sure about the days. Your accomodation provider can probably help you with that. Or ask Sharook's gueshouse in Wete...

Teny

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
90 reviews
8. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

As Karl suggests, I have been warned about the crossing too. We flew with Coastal, from Dar, via Zanzibar.

Pemba... you won't be diaappointed!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
9. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

The one the leaves Tanga once a week on Tuesdays is definitely not a show, it's a ferry/cargo ship. Would defnitely not recommend taking a dhow to Pemba... They quoted us around $100 for the flight (Tanga - Chake Chake).

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi ,

Can any tell me the best way to get to tanga from Marangu.

I hope to leave Marangu in the morning and reach Tanga in time for the 4pm flight to Pemba.

Is this too ambitious or is it possible?

Thanks,

Seb

Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island