We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi,

We are planning to travel on the 27th of December 2011 to Pemba, leaving from Moshi . Is there anyone who knows how to go to Pemba island either using a ferry/boat (if so, do you know the date+time) or taking a flight from Tanga ?

Do you know if coastal aviation will operate if only two people have booked for this flight, as there is no answer when calling their phone number?

Thanks for your help!

Seb

Mentioned in this post
Pemba Island
Pemba Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Pemba Island
Pemba Island
121 Reviews
Pemba Island, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,319 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Well I would not trust a coach for that run if you had a flight to catch so you are looking at private Hire.

400km or thereabouts. 5 to 6 hours. It's is doable.

A more certain but expensive alternative would be private hire/lift in the opposite direction to Arusha to catch the connecting flight to Tanga at 12.15.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ra'anana, HaMerkaz...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Dear Happy8284,

Did you manage to get from Marangu to Pemba via Tanga? I am about to try doing the same. How did it work out for you?

Thanks in advance for sharing

Mentioned in this post
Pemba Island
Pemba Island
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi Amit,

We did manage to get to Pemba from marangu Via Tanga. But you cannot get a bus to tanga from Moshi, had to go a bit further, took a daladala.(I shall check the exact spot and reply later). It takes a good 6-7hrs( at least our bus did) to get to Tanga, so if you are planning to reach Pemba the same day, I wouldnt advise it, we stayed overnight in Tanga.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Pemba Island
Pemba Island
Moshi
Moshi
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Sorry I meant you cannot get a bus directly to Tanga from marangu not Moshi

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Pemba Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Only by plane,62US$(one way).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi Karl, as you seem to be an expert in Tanzania, can you tell me if Northern Circuit Adventure company, based in Arusha is a reputable safari/Zanzibar excursion company ? Thanks.Debbie

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Debbie... I have not heard of Northern Circuit Adventure Co. But there are over 200 safari companies in Arusha so no one knows them all. I did look them up and they appear to have good prices (although I couldn't see if the prices were for group tours or private safaris). I do know where their office is located and it is a valid place which has many safari offices.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
18. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2016, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island