We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

south africa
Level Contributor
237 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

I would like to hear from people who have been here what its like, are there beach bars etc or is it very quiet. Accomodation ...Dont mind laid back and local accomodation., nothing touristy. How do you get from Dar es Salaam to Pemba.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

there are ferries to pemba from dar. they seem to be about 45USD. i haven't been yet but planning on it on saturday.

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

No beach bars, it's very quiet. There are a handful of tourist hotels spread around the place, and alcohol is hard to come by outside of the hotels.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

We are the Pemba natives.Pemba is a quiet area with social people living in community life.

It is not much touristic which means there are no active beach areas with bars and restaurants exept each beach hotel has a bar and a restaurant but hotels are few and distance from each other.

Pemba is a place to stay cool and relax alot if staying by the beach side or with town hotels are available and each town hotel is neighbouring the local homes and people.Beers are rare in most town hotels.

Staying in local homes not a problem and many locals would like that and my self as well and here you will leave as a local for sure if this is your interest then we can be your assistance.

From Dar To Pemba...coastal air,zan air fly daily from Dar to Pemba via Zanzibar and the ferries as well from Dar to Zanzibar [Unguja] and connect from Unguja to Pemba and there is no problem at all.

May be I can help you get there if need be.

Edited: 12 April 2013, 15:28
Pemba Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

Hello i am Nassor, director of coral tours&travel based in a capital of Pemba Island (chake chake),Pemba is ma home,i know it in and out,the answer of your question is , we have very few bars on the beach and nearly all is expensive bars,another answer is you can arrive Pemba through plane(five company flighing from Dsm to Pemba daily and back),and 3 times in a week speed boat available ,50mins plane, 5 hours by boat,135US$(plane),75US$(Speed boat).

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

Pemba Island itself is different from Zanzibar in all the ways mentioned above and feels very different to be on. For one it is made of rock appose to coral, this makes it more hilly and fertile. Pemba has far more vegetation and wildlife than Unguja (Zanzibar Island) on land and offers more varied dive sites in the water. It is worth reiterating the comments made above, there are few roads and little in the way of tourist infrastructure outside of the few hotels on the island.

I would strongly recommend you fly from Zanzibar to Pemba.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

Hello!

I am looking for information !!

I would like to travel from Tanga to Pemba, from Pemba to Zanzibar and then Dar es Salaam...all by ferry!

Can you please send me some information (costs, timeline, length of travel...).

Oh, and if I end up doing this trip I will also look for an accommodation. Being hosted by local people would be amazing! So, if you have any info on this too, I'm eager to know more!

Thank you very much!

Camilla

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

i recently heard the new MV MAPINDUZI 2 will start routes to the locations which you have mentioned above but am not sure if they have! all i know AZAM SEALINK website http://www.azammarine.com and an active Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/azammarine/ has routes to PEMBA-ZANZIBAR -DSM and i have travelled with it about 2 years back since still when it was still new ship and until is still operating and in good condition (safe to travel with )

about Pemba is quiet Island with some budget hotels one at Wete & Chakechake

Cheers & Peace

Edited: 16 March 2016, 19:29
8. Re: Pemba Island from Dar es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2017, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island