We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umoja Children's Park

Bryan, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Umoja Children's Park

Hello, I'm looking for information on the now abandoned Umoja Children's Park in Chake-Chake, Pemba, Tanzania. abandonedplaygrounds.com/umoja-childrens-par… here's some more information about it. I am curious about its history, when it opened and closed, etc. Is there anyone that visited it when it was open? Explored it after it was closed? What was it like? What rides did they have? I'm particually interested in this billiambabble.tumblr.com/image/58430383348 which is located in in Umoja. I'm trying to trace the origin of another ride which resembles it. Thank you very much.

3 replies to this topic
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umoja Children's Park

Hello Sarah Young from Bryan. This is a typical project there which didn't work out and is left to rusting into the ground. Many things like this in Tanzania. When the project doesn't work out, or there is an accident (rail or road) the remains are left to let nature take its course.

I've not been there and probably the only way you will learn anything about this is to visit the Chake Chake area of Pemba and ask the people there. Pemba is not all that populated (about 300,000 people in total). There probably won't be many around who know much about this.

Bryan, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Umoja Children's Park

Thank you very much for your information.

Bergen, Norway
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Umoja Children's Park

The park is now restored, and is open on weekends.

Reply to: Umoja Children's Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island